Discus and Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
In most cases it is not recommended to keep any discus with angels.

There are exceptions however. Basically it comes down to a few things.

Tank size - Is there enough room for both to cohabitat with each other. Angels will get quite nasty with other fish that encroach on their area. In bigger tanks this should not be an issue.

Coverage - It helps allot also when you have enough coverage in a tank for the discus or whatever fish to run and hide if it gets a little nippy.

Feeding - Discus for the most pair are not aggressive eaters. If placed in a tank with aggressive eaters like angels they may have a very hard time getting food.

Temperature - Angels really do not like the higher temps that discus like. On the other hand discus don't color up as nice as they can in the lower temps that the angels prefer. If you can find a happy medium well cudos for you.

Last thing is when the no discus with angels warning is give it is usually for the average hobbiest who doesn't have a massive tank to keep fish in. Most of us at meger means have regular old store bought tanks. Not monster tanks.

Mojo has his pond and it is a perfect example of what can be mixed if you have the space. He's got nasty cichlids with angels and gouamis and even a pacu in there. He also has enough space and coverage for everyone to live in peace.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Angels and Discus cohabitat in the wild, are exposed to the same temps, so the temp theory is out the window. Angels do extremely well in the same temps as discus, infact better than normal, most of the better breeders maintain their breeding pairs at 82 or better. This myth about Discus being shy eaters, and passive fish needs to stop sometime. Healthy Discus are going to be about as aggressive about eating as anything out there, if they aren't something is wrong. Angels are no more aggressive than discus, infact its not uncommon to have the Angel's bullied by discus. You could easily maintain 3-4 discus, alongside 3-4 angels in a 55gal as long as you kept your water quality up. The myth about discus being shy and picky eaters is because people who have bought discus from their LFS have gotten parasite infested fish who are on the verge of dying, and are not interested in eating or making themselves visible. Healthy discus on the other hand will be aggressive, and make pigs out of themselves at feeding time. I have kept both scalare and discus, and the discus by far are more aggressive. Both are mildly aggressive cichlids, similar behaviors, similar requirements, though Angels are a bit more forgiving, thus they do make very good tankmates.

Take my word, I've kept both species as I have said. I know a lot of stuff about Discus, I have a breeding pair, and have observed their behaviors for quite sometime as well as gained a lot of knowledge from well know breeders around the country, and importers. There are simply a lot of myths about them out there that need to be dispelled and the Angel/Discus as tankmates myth is just one of them.

Last edited:

CajunCC

I take pictures
Sep 10, 2004
Harrisburg, PA
www.photobizarre.com
I can vouch for the aggressiveness of the discus in this particular tank also. I probably sat for a total of 2 and a half to 3 hours watching that tank throughout the day. I saw discus chase angels every bit as much as i saw angels chase discus. It really was quite fascinating. Mostly because if I had that size tank at home (yeah... like it would even fit) and put all the same fish, plants, etc in it, I'd have people freaking out because it was WAY WAY overstocked and because there are fish in there that shouldn't be put togehter. It just made me think that maybe we're too picky and not willing to take chances with our pets?

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
NatakuTseng : Lets just agree to dis-agree on this one.

While there is validity in some points you made. Some points you make are not true imo.

There are always exceptions to the rule.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Well, let me know what you feel was not accruate in my statements and I will be more than happy to provide you with valid sources to back them up, and I will not include my personal observations. Just a side note too, the comment about discus not coloring up as well in "low" water temps is because when you subject them to temps below 80, your giving them a death sentance, they will get sick and die at those temps in no time at all.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
I had a similar experience many years ago at the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco, where they had what appeared to be an eight foot square cube with a combination of discus, altums, and Bolivian rams. I've always assumed that the combo worked because of the extremely large size of the tank.

I myself have one discus in a well-decorated (driftwood, anubias, and java fern) 75 gallon tank with 5 cardinals and a couple of corys that I keep at a steady 82F. I have one male angel in another 60 gallon tank (kept at a slightly lower temp of 79F). Both fish have been with me for many years, and I'd hate to lose either of them, but would love to open up the 60g for another project.

So, all of you with opinions: based on the tank size, conditions, and temp, do you think I could combine them in the 75g? I'm interested to hear what you all think.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
If the discus is an adult (5''+) Than it definately won't hurt to try. The angelfish will be going into the discus' territory, so the discus should be fine with being able to cope with any aggression that may rise from the angel. There is also be plenty of space. I have heard of a few people even keeping 1 pair of breeding angels and 1 pair of breeding discus in a 4ft tank (I don't remember if it was a 75g or a 55g).

Not that I advocate this in any way, but, I did at one time, have 1 adult and 1 sub-adult angelfish in my 38g with 3-4 juvenile discus. There was no agression between the two species. I have also had, on the flip side, aggression issues in a 75g between angels and discus.

My personal conclusion is that if one or both of the species are adults, then the combination has a much great rate of success. The largest problem I have experienced is between juvenile discus and sub-adult angels where the angels have had a kind of young bull elephant syndrom with no adult angel to keep them in check.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store