Discus Anyone ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
I keep discus also and have done so for years. I find them to be quite hardy now as opposed to 15 years ago. Years of tank raising them have made them adjust to quite different water than they would in the wild. Used to be unheard of to keep discus in pH higher than 6.0.
Discus are great fish and I think you will be pleased with them.
Great fish Harry, and great advice.
I also feed live California black worms and the fish do great on them. Grow faster and bigger.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Deb2
..... I find them to be quite hardy now as opposed to 15 years ago. Years of tank raising them have made them adjust to quite different water than they would in the wild. Used to be unheard of to keep discus in pH higher than 6.0.
I totally agree! It's known that domestic Discus are a bit easier to care for than 'wild' Discus. Some may not have done their "homework" before getting them... They require high water temps... And, very good water quality. Slighty more care than say your average minnow. ;)

copyeditor

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
I've been keeping discus only a short time - about 8 months and I'm addicted. I also think they are robust fish. In September, I bought a 6-inch wild brown on vacation. He spent 3 days in a 7-gallon tank and 6 hours in a bag before he made it to his new home. He is my favorite - I wish I'd bought more of that stock. Now, I'm setting up a 58-gallon dedicated to my 4 discus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store