Discus in peril

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crows4hire

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
Houston, TX
30 gallon well planted tank, 2 discus, 2 clown loaches, 1 bristle nose pleco, 10 amano shrimp, water conditions 0ppm amonia, 0 ppm nitrite, 0ppm nitrate, Kh 5 degrees, PH 7.6.

This morning, I came out to find one of my discus parked in the bottom FRONT corner of the tank with his nose pointed downward, breathing heavy and flaring his gills with alternating clamp fin. Needless to say, his color is terrible. The other fish in the tank are all fine and healthy, including the second discus. They were all fine and dandy 3 days ago. Changed water 2 days ago (40%).
What could be ailing him? Flukes, swim bladder infection? Any ideas? Please help and thanks as always.:wall:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Are you using CO2?

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Ya sounds maybe like he cant get enough oxygen if hes gasping for air. I have also heard that might be a feeding issue.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Can you post a picture? I can forward it to someone here that I concider one of the best in Discus care and treatment.

If all of the fish were acting the same, I would think it would be an O2 issue or similar as well. Since it is only one fish, that may not be the case.

In any case, another water change is in order. Did the PH change much between water changes or after? 7.6 is not a favorable PH for Discus in general.

crows4hire

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
Houston, TX
Yes, I am using CO2... a DIY system... based on the Kh and Ph levels, I make the CO2 levels out to be 3-5 ppm which means my setup is at the end of its cycle and is to low to be causing any O2 problems, I think. I will refill my canister now and do a 50% water change.

As for the Ph, this is standard for the water supply and the fish were bred in it... have never had a problem with this before. Pictures are attached... thanks again for the help.

Party and such 071.jpg Party and such 072.jpg Party and such 074.jpg

briggadane

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
Lakewood Ohio
www.briggadane.com
My guess is you are using plant fertelizers. I would also guess you had used it the day before this fish started to show distress.

Another guess, but did you add beneficial bacteria(cycle or such)?
See if the dechlorinating agent warns that it removes oxygen from the water.
Have you removed or replaced an air stone or such, powerhead, changed tyoes of filters?

I have 2 tanks of discus. It is not uncommon for just one discus to be ultra sensitive to something.

crows4hire

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
Houston, TX
Sorry, those did not come out to well. Let's try these instead...
I have been watching him and I have to conclude that it isn't a swim bladder problem. The way he is flaring his gills and the way they protrude slightly makes me think it is some kind of parasite. Any thoughts?

Sick Discus 005.jpg Sick Discus 002.jpg

crows4hire

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
Houston, TX
Let's see... water change done the day prior to the problem and of course done today as well. No ferts as I am combatting an algae problem at this time. Every water change gets the recommended does of Stresszyme and I dechlorinate with Stresscoat+.

The Stresscoat is a fairly new addition (the last two weeks) I previously used Tap Water Conditioner from API. That's all I can think of...

No changes in filtration or filter media, although I had a painter working on the other side of the house the day prior to the problem. Fumes maybe?

briggadane

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
Lakewood Ohio
www.briggadane.com
Not likely fumes. Do you see any visible signs of parasites? Bumps under the skin, dots on the skin, cloudy skin, ANYTHING visual, other than stress pattern? In the pic it looks like your other discus is symptom free?

Who knows. I once lost a fish when it swam through the dechlorinator as I was pouring it in the tank(now I add it to the first gallon of water I pour into the tank, so it is pre-diluted...).

crows4hire

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
Houston, TX
Well, it's the swim bladder. Tonight he started doing a true "head stand" coupled with erratic swimming. Bummer. Does anyone have a suggestion for helping a "head stand" discus? I have never lost one to this before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store