Discus issues!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ineedmoney4

AC Members
May 9, 2012
So they have stopped freaking out since I have added the paragaurd and seemed to be acting fine for now n look healthier hopefully stays that way. Have one in quarantine that got big lumps on side that have now almost gone just treating with paragaurd got his blue color back and lumps are gone. Sorry I would have put pics but I don't see anything anymore to show u guys.

@discuspaul. There in a 135gal. Anywhere from 2in to 5in wild and tank raised. This has happened before and have lossed a couple to it. I use prime every water change. The tank is covered glass tops if it wasn't there would definitely be some on the floor.
We don't use arisol sprays or anything like that.

Would you say metro powder is best for treating internal parasites?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It's best not to medicate until you *know* what the problem is, or at least have a very good guess, as opposed to a "well, this will treat something" inclination.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
It's best not to medicate until you *know* what the problem is, or at least have a very good guess, as opposed to a "well, this will treat something" inclination.
Absolutely.
Never medicate unless you feel quite certain you've diagnosed the problem accurately.
More often than not, medicating when it's not needed, or using the wrong medication for the problem, can do more harm than good.
In my experience with discus, there is seldom such a thing as 'preventative' medicating. Lots of clean fresh water will often resolve many seemingly problematic situations with discus.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I suggest you read what others have requested.
water parameters including pH(some say it's not important but it can be when considering the ammonia/ammonium issues)
temp?
pictures would be very helpful
btw, while metro is good for some parasites metronidazole is actually an antibiotic that can affect some parasites(protozoa).
but you should really make sure you have diagnosed the problem before treating.

Ineedmoney4

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Ok I have diagnosed them having long stringy white poop so I used metro powder. I saw white like pimples clear base and a white head therefore used paragaurd. Temp is 85 86. PH 6.6 to 6.9 regulated with a digital co2 system. Been giving lots of water changes. So far things are looking up. As for metro powder what's the best way to feed it?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you could have a couple issues that produce the same Sx.
white stringy fecal matter can be caused by either parasite or bacteria.
pimple like bumps could be caused by protozoa or diet.
HITH/HLLE comes to mind.
Metro is often used to handle possible protozoa infections and also benefits with the added anti bacterial properties it has.

it can be added directly to the water(follow instructions).
you can find it available in already prepared foods (see kens or angelsplus)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Making the fifth request in the thread for pictures. You obviously have a smartphone, so you obviously have a camera on your phone. It'll only help the smart folks (for the record, that doesn't include me) figure out what your'e dealing with faster, so you don't stress your fish or yourself any longer than necessary. Of course, if you feel that randomly dosing a whole spectrum of medications is the best way to proceed, knock yourself out, spend the unnecessary money, and hopefully, your fish will survive.

Ineedmoney4

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Ok so I got some pictures just because I'm see something to take a picture of this one fish seems to always poop like this...uploadfromtaptalk1368224921449.jpguploadfromtaptalk1368224933528.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368224921449.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1368224933528.jpg

Ineedmoney4

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Couple more pictures just noticed this... Here is one of the fish its got red starting on fins. Only fish who's got it. I forgot to say that everything that's been going on is only effecting discus.uploadfromtaptalk1368245323747.jpguploadfromtaptalk1368245340914.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368245323747.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1368245340914.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store