Discus Pic

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
red eyes

ewok, I think the red eyes are just a natural color of that particular fish.

99RedSi

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Are these guys hard to keep in a heavily planted, CO2 injected aquarium? I would think that the high temp (86 average) temperature they need would contradict live plant growth?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by 99RedSi
Are these guys hard to keep in a heavily planted, CO2 injected aquarium? I would think that the high temp (86 average) temperature they need would contradict live plant growth?
Im not having any trouble keeping them. A couple types of plants did not due too good - most likely due to higher water temps, like you mentioned. The plants you see in my photos are all pearling -- a very good sign! And, growing like crazy....

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by NJ Devils Fan
Nice pic. What are your water parameters?
All parameters are good! Ph is a little high at 7.0 .....

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by tyler
how much work do you put into these things? daily water changes, and the like? do they have to be kept in groups? anything else you'd like to say on their behalf?
Water change - once a week, Discus should be kept in groups rather than solo fish. 85 degree F minimum temperature. Soft water, Ph should be lower than 7.0 ...

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by tyler
how do you keep your ph down? co2?

how large of group is suggested? and how large do they get?

the discus based forums make these fish seem like so much work, but they're such attractive fish.
Yes, I have pressurized CO2, and driftwood, and R/O DeIonized water to help keep the PH down. Water changes must be at least weekly (some do it more often). Temperature must be kept warm. I have 2 heaters. I probably need 2 but, even if I didn't need 2 it's nice to have the second one for backup in case the other fails.

I don't think they are that much extra 'work.'
They prefer frozen food over flakes and pellets, but will eat those also.

Some say. one Discus per 10 gallons. I can go along with that - at a maximum. They are best kept about 6 at a time, and are less timid when they have others around. I wouldn't get just one or two...

I think they get around 6 - 7 inches..

:)

tyler

safety...
Nov 28, 2002
Fargo, ND
www.angelfire.com
ah...then i guess i'll have to wait a while. there was an absolutely beautiful snakeskin juvi available locally for $25. but if i have to get five more, i'd be dropping a little more than my college budget allows...and i'd need a new tank, well, i'd need one anyways, but i'd need a big new tank with big, new toys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store