Discus & Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
Does anyone have experience housing red cherry shrimp in the same tank as Discus? I have some algae and wanted to put some red cherry shrimp into the tank to do some cleanup.

Otherwise I'll just house them separately and see if I can get an alternative to do the cleanups.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I had adult cherry shrimp in with my 5 discus without any problems..
I guess the smaller shrimp were tasty..
RCS are tiny, unless you have hundreds of them, the amount of algea they eat iis barely noticable.

What kind of algea do you have?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
IME, red cherry shrimp = food

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
jsut a feel diatoms on the leaves near the light. The ones real close to the surface of the water catches food and builds diatoms. I try to stir it up but it keeps growing. Other than that I cant trim my plants but then the hideout for my discus and shade isnt there anymore.

I had one SAE in the tank before; but man he was so active everywhere swimmng around and scaring my discus. =( so I moved it to my community tank with my rams.

I have one Oto and 3 Olive Nerites in their, they do a good job but I plan on moving the snails since they ate my last batch of Discus Eggs. GRRR

Now, I was thinking of shrimp to replace the snails?

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
I guess no shrimp. HMMs, I'm thinking maybe a bunch of Oto cats or maybe 2 SAEs.

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
I have 200 red shrimp and I have 14 discus. I will be trying it, but I also bought $250 worth of plants so that they will be able to hide.

I bought 35 pots of hairgrass which should allow them to hide. Also, they shrimp will be in the tank for a week or two before I place the discus in. Hopefully, this will allow them to become familiar with the tank and be able to hide easier when the Discus are placed in later.

I realize the risk, but I wanted a cleaning crew that didn't add a huge load. I have also talked to some other discus keepers who have done the same. The tank should be finalized and running by the end of the next week. I will report back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store