Discus White Poop ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
white , stringy shiney poo is one sign of infection.

it could be either bacterial or parasite.

some cases both.

bacterial infections spread pretty quickly where parasites may take weeks to do their deed.
even in parasite infestation many times bacterial is secondary.
the issue with parasites is the number of different parasites out there.
flagellated protozaons as well as many worms can be treated with prazi and or metro.

there are also others that do not respond to these treatments. luckily if it is one of these 'worm'-round or tape..you have time.

usually the fish will respond favorably within a few days or a week of treatment..if one fails you can try others.

one issue at hand is the parasites ability to become use to some meds ..prazi and metro have been used so much that some strains of parasites have built up an immunity to the med.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I followed this thread as my new blood parrot had the same white string, clear mucus poop, I purchased the medication metro....? and dosed the tanks food, 2 doses later and he(she) is out and about, eating and acting like a normal fish with regular pops, prior to medicating he was very shy, not eating and just listless. THANK YOU so very much for posing this question, I did not think there was a problem until I read your post. Thankx for helping this newbie save her favorite fish!

Glad it worked out for you. The concensus on another site is my fish has Hex.
I just ordered some Metro but wont have it until Tuesday,where I plan to treat the entire tank. My wife thought she saw it eat a piece of brine shrimp.
My feelings is if he pooped,whatever it was it must have had some food in its system:confused:
Anyway I hope it makes it until I can at least try some different meds.
This fish definately is a fighter

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Good luck and keep us posted. My fingers are crossed!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store