Disinfecting for re-stocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, haven't posted here in a very long time...

My tank's been sitting in my room all bare after a (diagnosed) fish TB outbreak, I was told firmly that before I re-stocked I needed to flush out the entire tank with bleach to kill off any remaining infection.
I can't find information on how to do this in any of the fish books I own, I was wondering if anyone could walk me through the process?

The tank's a simple 50 litre/15 gallon, I'd appreciate it if all volumes were in metric form, it'd make it easier for me to work out how much I need to buy.

Thanks guys for your help! I look forward to re-entering the hobby after a few months' break :)

Will.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
You can use one cup per g of unscented bleach to disinfect it with. Its a bit over kill, but would rather be safe than sorry. simply fill it with bleach water, let it sit for a bit, rinse it out thouroughly, fill it with clean water with a triple does of dechlor..dump it again, then set it back up for fish putting a triple dose of dechlor in it before adding fish..

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Sure..lol..altho with that concentration of bleach..its probably going to kill everything on contact.. Better to be safe than sorry tho..

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Someone on another forum once suggested the use of ammonia. It's probably just as effective as bleach at killing any unwanted nasties in your tank, and unlike bleach that has toxic chlorine residue that must be eliminated, any leftover residue from the ammonia will just go towards cycling the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store