Dither/target fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
So pair of jags a pleco n 8 tinfoil barbs np?

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Sorry for the :newbie: question but what the heck is a dither/target fish?

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Im going to try and answer this best I can since im new also....

Dither fish is a calm non aggressive fish that is also not skittish, its main use is to show more skittish fish that may hide all day that there is no threat since the dither is not hidding.

Target fish are fast moving fish that takes aggression and attacks, using larger numbers of target fish spreads the aggression out so no one fish is picked on, and it draws aggression away from say a lady fish not ready to bread, you can use aggressive fish as target fish but this will cause fighting ripped fins and death (i want my male jag to be the show point of the tank ripped fins would take away from that)
Please feel free to correct any and everything as I just myself started learning about dither/target fish

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia

Dither fish is a calm non aggressive fish that is also not skittish, its main use is to show more skittish fish that may hide all day that there is no threat since the dither is not hidding.

Target fish are fast moving fish that takes aggression and attacks, using larger numbers of target fish spreads the aggression out so no one fish is picked on, and it draws aggression away from say a lady fish not ready to bread, you can use aggressive fish as target fish but this will cause fighting ripped fins and death (i want my male jag to be the show point of the tank ripped fins would take away from that)
Please feel free to correct any and everything as I just myself started learning about dither/target fish

Thanks jag for your great explanation!! i get it now!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

No correction needed...well said!

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Well I learned something new today, thanks jag. - N :thumbsup:

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Well said, indeed. Never saw the idea in target fish until I saw a tank that had them, but was always a fan of dithers. Tinfoils sound like they'd work if you had enough and they were the appropriate size. Otherwise that jag's gonna have fun picking them off.

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
So I bought 6 tinfoil barbs jags ate all but two overnight I was thinking of buying some oscars and other larger fish for my jag tank but buying 6+ inch fish gets costly my brother n law was going to give me money for my jags n I could start over but my male is so colorful I don't want to give him up any ideas? My wife will kill me if I keep buying fish that get eaten lol only thing. I can think of is get rid of me lady jag and keep the male in my 200 gallon alone

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
The only solution for that is to try and find larger tinfoils! If you can't, maybe you could set up something like a temporary grow out tank until they are out of eating size and into punching bag size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store