DIY 15 Gallon Double Decker Build Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You need to have some support at the front for the top tank..
Not if he builds the correct type of support. He may want to consider using steel instead of wood as the support for the top tank. It will offer better support and leave more room for tank maintenance.

Off course to hold the 150+ lbs of hanging weight it will have to be firmly attached to the studs at several points.

Personally I think it will look pretty cool, but I would hate to do the maintenance on that lower tank. 36.5 inches would give this 74" guy a major backache.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
Do you plan to secure this to the wall? I think your center of gravity is going to be dangerously high.

Adkins.ITS

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Ft. Wanye, IN
really cool idea! It seems like you have a lot to work out yet but any plans for what is going in them? Are you going to do two different biotopes or maybe even one marine and one fresh? Some really cool visual possibilities there...
Well I was going to do a heavily planted tank on top and a rcs breeder planted lower tank......but the longer I think about it, it would be really sweet to have a fresh and marine.

Adkins.ITS

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Ft. Wanye, IN

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
It looks beautiful, althought he thought of maintenance seems a little daunting. Too bad there isn't something strong enough to let you pull the tanks out like drawers for that.

Another cool thought, if you drilled a hole in the bottom of the top and put a large pipe down to the bottom, you could have a setup where fish could go from one to the other at will.

That might be a bit much though, and I'm not sure on the physics. It should work, as I've seen several where the a huge tank was placed upside down over a shallower, wider dimension tank, and that worked.

Who knows....

MrGoodbytes

...has a research topic! :)
Nov 27, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I'm fairly sure the water would flow right into the bottom tank. It's the same idea as using a bucket to return water to an aquarium for a water change, except you don't have to start a siphon. Putting something sealed upside down in water and then pulling it upwards (if I interpret what you mean correctly) relies in atmospheric pressure to keep the water inside it (I used to do this when playing while doing dishes and washing glasses in the sink).

I'm interested to see how this turns out though! I might like to build something similar at some point so I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
angle iron frame like a cantilevered deck on the side of a building

ram303

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
darwin australia
I 2 am building a double decker setup, but mine are both marine tanks.
the top tank is a 6x2x1.4 = 475ltrs
bottom tank is 6x2x1.8 = 600ltrs
sump is 210ltrs
my tank stand is made from 35mm x 3mm square box section
1m wide 2.4m long
and the floors are all 20mm form ply.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store