DIY 2.5gallon tank wood stand for 15 tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
I am trying it without a filter.
You mean not even a sponge filter? I think you'll end up having to change water more than once a week with no filters at all. I don't know for sure though.

A guy on the Craigslist were selling them for $7 each but he decided to trade for them.
I NEVER get that lucky to find deals like that. Wow. Great find. No LFS stock 2.5" anywhere close to me. Only the big chain stores have them and they are $14 each. I know they cost more because they make less of them, but it still kills me to pay more for a 2.5 gallon than I do for a 10 gallon :)

I did think about using 2x3 but I knew that it will not look as good as 1x2.........I have also supported the back with a brace. This should be strong enough from falling forward.
I was not criticizing your build. I was only trying to be funny about how some people over build things... which is nothing wrong with that either. But I think you did a very good job. BUT.... I still would not trust that one metal bracket you have in the back. I know that since it's not already leaning that it does not need a lot of strength in the back to keep it from falling forward so in theory that metal bracket would be OK. But still... you've got such a nice stand, I'd at least put maybe 4-5 of those brackets in various places in the back at the least.

Anyway... keep us informed with pics once you add water and shrimp.

Are you going to add any lighting?

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
trying to figure out what that metal strap is screwed to. the window sill, since the unit is now over by the window? i agree with rastoma, you should have more than one; otherwise, if it tips the rack can pivot on the brace and will still fall over, just sideways.

really a handsome build. congratulations

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
i agree with rastoma, you should have more than one;
Yeah, I was recommending that when it was on the wall by the door. I don't know where else he can anchor it being against the window :)

Also, if that window gets a lot of sun, you're gonna have algae blooms like mad I would think.

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
trying to figure out what that metal strap is screwed to. the window sill, since the unit is now over by the window? i agree with rastoma, you should have more than one; otherwise, if it tips the rack can pivot on the brace and will still fall over, just sideways. really a handsome build. congratulations
I can not put more than one strap because the strap is loose. If I pull the strap back to far. The tank will not be balance. The strap is there just so it will not tip over. Putting a lot of straps not going to help. Putting a piece of wood with make it look uglier. I am going to screw at 1x2 from that stand to the other stand. That is more better than putting lots of straps. It will be place under my canister filter to the 2.5 setup stand. I am still spray painting the tanks back. It will stop the algae from growing and water stain. I will also be putting a foam on the back of the tank to keep the heat down too. Lots of things to do. I am thinking of DIY undergravel for the 2.5 tank too. Thanks for liking it.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice work!

AndyH24

AC Members
Feb 8, 2013
Kingsport, TN
Real Name
Andy

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
very nice tanks. the idea about putting foam on the back to cut done solar heating is excellent.

the straps don't have to be tight, just strong enough to "catch" the rack if it wants to tip. i'm in earthquake country, so it's always a concern, but someone (or pets if you don't have kids) crawling up the rack can tip it too.

a second strap would cut down any twisting moment if the rack started to tip

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store