DIY 3D Background - Too Much Detail?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
This sure turned out nice. I would love to see a finished picture with water and fish!

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
Finally got my camera back this weekend. Here's the finished product with the tank running for roughly a month and a half now. Stocking includes two gold marble angelfish, 3 female bettas (all sisters), and a trio of guppies. Plants are a mix of fake and real, with the real being anubias and hygro.

diybackground 002.JPG diybackground 009.JPG diybackground 011.JPG diybackground 012.JPG

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Absolutely wonderful! I love all your decorations that you added...the cluster on the bottom has a lot of texture and depth, and I love the anchor. The floating plants look really good too and all the colors really pop! Great job! Consider me officially jealous!

KI4WLG

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina/South Carolina
Man that final product looks amazing!

Let me throw out my two cents here on making the depth pop a little more. I'm not sure what kind of paint you would use for this, but one of the methods I used when I did small scale modeling to make dimensions pop out more is a combination of blackwashing and drybrush highlighting. Blackwashing is simply brushing a heavily diluted dark color paint into the cracks and crevices of an object, wiping it off of the raised areas with a rag. After that has dried out, drybrush highlighting is taking a dry paintbrush and putting a small amount of light colored paint on it, then wiping nearly all of it off on a paper towel or piece of paper. Then very gently brushing the edges of the raised areas so that it just barely highlights the raised portions. Never done this on a large scale application, but it can make all the difference with small scale if you are looking to make something weathered and have the dimensions pop.

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
My Bat Cave somwhere in TX
Very nice. Can you pm how to do this. Thanks

[QUO:bowing:TE=Jumko;2798773]Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm pretty happy how it turned out.[/QUOTE]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store