DIY carbon and phosphate REACTORS .. need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well I talk to Ryan at BRS and when I receive the ViaAqua Poly-Reactor I'm going to get a RMA and return it and got for 2 of their canister reactors. I know charcoal will expire faster than GFO. I think I'll get their charcoal and their gfo in bulk.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I would keep the Via-Aqua and just bought a second one and chained them together if that was your goal. Also, BRS Carbon and GFO are not known the be high quality.. just low price. To me you don't save any $. I tried BRS GFO from a fellow reefer when I was out once and I swear I was lucky to get 2 weeks out of it. It all seems to balance out in the end when it comes to cost, you are just forced to do 4x as much work replacing BRS GFO vs RowaPhos. Same can be said for Chemi-Pure vs BRS Carbon, you will have to change out BRS carbon every 7-10 days vs 30 days.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
So, Ace, do you think one of the reactors I ordered would be good for running charcoal in?

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Owl, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to high jack your thread. I hope you go with #1 and then let us know how it goes.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
Owl, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to high jack your thread. I hope you go with #1 and then let us know how it goes.
what r u talkin bout man ? i m following ur conversation ... do i hate more informations ???! ;) ...
:cheers:

BTW ,, gonna start tomorrow maybe ,,, pix will come soon :) ...

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well you started the thread about which was the best reactor design and I seemed to ask a question or make a statement that got this thing way off your topic.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
i have off topic questions too :D
1-i heard & read that people don use carbon in their filter unless they wanna remove medicine or remove some toxic or like that , is that right ?if so what s the use of a carbon reactor ?
2-do u guys use ceramic rings in ur sump or filter ?
3-any other media u use in sump ?

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
i have off topic questions too :D
1-i heard & read that people don use carbon in their filter unless they wanna remove medicine or remove some toxic or like that , is that right ?if so what s the use of a carbon reactor ?
I think it also has to do with order. I does keep the water cleaner in my opinion.

2-do u guys use ceramic rings in ur sump or filter?
Live rock is your best bet as it becomes a natural filter.

3-any other media u use in sump ?
Sand and Chito and maybe Mangrove is all I've ever heard of being placed in the sump.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
OK, Ace. The ViaAqua Poly-Reactor arrived and it looks like there's a part missing, the down tube. I like the compact size but now I need to get it put together. Any suggestions? I see they have a new model out, the 30/30 that is suppose to be for larger tanks. That one might be good for charcoal.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Huh? Missing a part? That sucks! Definately should have everything needed in the box to get you going besides the media.

People actually run those Via-Aqua in dual stage, ie, carbon on bottom and GFO on top in the same reactor, so it would definately be ok to chain 2 together. Although that depends on how you feel now after getting one with a missing part. A reactor is a reactor.. doesn't matter which one you get really..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store