DIY CO2 newbie support group

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
I've had my system up and running about 3 months in my 46 gal bowfront.

2 2L bottles feed via t connector to a "vitamin water" seperator vessel.

then to a pressure relief blowout valve. This is basically a t -connecter where one of the nipples has been sanded down such that it doesn't grip as strongly, and a short piece of tubing is attached to that with a tightly closed plastic needle control valve. Idea being that is pressure builds too strongly, this blowout and release pressure before tanks do.

after the blowout, it feeds to a check valve, and then a ceramic bubbler in the tank.

tubing is blue silicone. Bought 30 ft of it for $1.50 on the clearance rack at PetSmart.

recipe is 2/2/1 where that is sugar/water/tsp yeast. I get 7 to 10 days on this set up with consistant small bubbles, though I did get a 14 day once though I have no idea what I did differently that day.

I haven't added baking soda or any of the fruit juices yet, though I don't really understand the implications there. While I am a chemical engineer by degree, I guess I've drank those brain cells away that would have retained that knowledge. The soda is fairly easy to figure out, but the citrus juice has my head scratching. I'm guessing it has to due with citric acid acting as a buffer and stabilizing agent to the creation of carbonic acid in the tank.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Never had the blow out pop, but then I also am discovering that I am running a lower water level than most people in the tanks here and that creates a larger head space...takes more gas in my tanks to reach blowout pressures.

If you do put a blow out in your line, it is imperative that you put your tanks in some kind of containment. If you back check valve is bad, you can create suction and end up syphoning out your tank. I've got mine in a rubbermaid plastic tote as secondary containment. Your containment should be large enough to hold the ammount of water that would draw down until the tank level reaches your diffusor.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
one question for you guys. I find my CO2 tends to be on the slow side like maybe 1/2 a bubble every second. Is there anything i can do to speed this up besides moving the bottle any?

Also do these bottles only last 10 days? I read about people that get theirs to run for 2 months? is it just because they are using champagne yeast?

What is you're guys experience with the duration?

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
one question for you guys. I find my CO2 tends to be on the slow side like maybe 1/2 a bubble every second. Is there anything i can do to speed this up besides moving the bottle any?

Also do these bottles only last 10 days? I read about people that get theirs to run for 2 months? is it just because they are using champagne yeast?

What is you're guys experience with the duration?
I am new at this, so YMMV...
I have a 3qt and 2qt fermenter going into one bubble counter underneath my 72g bowfront. I ran the line into the filter intake and get ~ 1bps. My initial run with this setup went for ~20 days (and that included a lot lost during setup in the first few days).

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
like maybe 1/2 a bubble every second.
Pls forgive me in advance...I'm in one of my rare moods right now....but....

what's a 1/2 bubble?

:lol2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store