DIY Compact Fluorescent (CFL) Strip Light Retrofit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shadow_cruiser

AC Members
Feb 1, 2010
Toronto, Canada

bored4

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Michigan
I just made one out of aluminum gutter. 48" for a 75g, i used 8 single sockets because i got them for $1.60 each from Home Depot. I can't believe how hot it gets. you seriously can't leave your hand there to long. I don't have vent holes and i think i should put some some where, But im not sure where to put the vent holes. I don't want light bleeding out and light up the room. Any one got suggestions on where vent holes should be placed?

Krilorn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Nebraska
I just made one out of aluminum gutter. 48" for a 75g, i used 8 single sockets because i got them for $1.60 each from Home Depot. I can't believe how hot it gets. you seriously can't leave your hand there to long. I don't have vent holes and i think i should put some some where, But im not sure where to put the vent holes. I don't want light bleeding out and light up the room. Any one got suggestions on where vent holes should be placed?

You could always just rig up a couple of computer fans to either end of the hood. After reading this thread i did a retro fit to my old hood. Seeing mine a friend that just got back into fish keeping redid his hood as well, he was having heat issues as well and just wired in the comp fans and now it gets warm but never hot.

bored4

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Michigan
I put like 100, 1/8th inch vent hole all along the top. Didn't help :(
Looks like I'm going to have to try some fans.
I've looked through this whole thread and i don't think there's any pictures of any retrofits using fans. Anyone got some?

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Go to radioshack and get yourself computer fans, also pick up a AC adapter 12v. Splice the wires on both the fan and A/C adapter, match the colors, use some wire nuts, or you can soder, screw the fan onto your fixture, plug it in and TADA!

What I would do is probably put 2 fans. One blowing cool air in, the other sucking the heat out and the other end.

bored4

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Michigan
What do you guys think is an acceptable temperature for the hood to get up too?

I'm getting up to 126 dF over one of my 26watt bulbs.

Last edited:

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Stopped by Lowes to pick up a 50gal tote and some mulch for the tortoise and also picked up a 4-pack of 18w 6500k CFLs. I am INCHING slowly towards completing this project. apparently my dad has a crate in the garage full of light sockets so ill have to dig that out and see what i can find.

lol slowly but surely this retrofit will happen :grinno:

sean6911

Registered Member
Feb 11, 2010
Bellevue Nebraska
I added my single computer fan when i noticed that one of the vent areas on my hood was deforming a little bit.

I did find a good 9v ac adaptor at Walmart! I found it in the toy area. Made for a Vtech video game. It works great, and it was under $10.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store