DIY questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aryman

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2017
OK so new to the whole planted tank thing but right now that's besides the point. I have a low tech tank so low that I made a diy air/water displacement filter. The output tube mainly puts out air with spurts of water (about 1 gallon per hour). I also want to get make one of those crappy yeast co2 and hook it in with the filter. My 2 main questions are, first can water effectively pass through an airstone along with the co2 and has anyone actually made an alcohol recipe two double the use of the diy yeast?

20170314_173351.jpg

Aryman

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2017
So the filter is a closed system in which water is siphoned into a jar as an air pump puts air in. There is a tube at the top and as soon as water the water level hits it the water is forced through the tube into the aquarium. So the output is air bubbles with some water. I just don't know if the water will be able to effectively pass through the airstone, as large co2 bubbles are useless.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It is difficult to tell from the pics or description, at least to me, but I am assuming water is moved from the filter to the tank by means of an air pump and bubbles?

I don't believe that this sort of setup will work with CO2 injection, the means of water movement and the air bubbles specifically will break the waters surface and causing gas exchange with the atmosphere, basically anything you try to inject will be lost.

Water should flow through most airstones, this is the reason that check valves are needed.

If you want to stay low tech, and to inject CO2, I would personally try something like a bubble ladder in the display tank away from the filter intake or outflow.

CatfishDon

Registered Member
Apr 1, 2017
It is difficult to tell from the pics or description, at least to me, but I am assuming water is moved from the filter to the tank by means of an air pump and bubbles?

I don't believe that this sort of setup will work with CO2 injection, the means of water movement and the air bubbles specifically will break the waters surface and causing gas exchange with the atmosphere, basically anything you try to inject will be lost.

Water should flow through most airstones, this is the reason that check valves are needed.

If you want to stay low tech, and to inject CO2, I would personally try something like a bubble ladder in the display tank away from the filter intake or outflow.
Not sure what a bubble ladder is. May be interested in trying it. I might know it with another name. Can you share with me what is is ? THANKS

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
it is a way to diffuse CO2 in the water made by hagen... it looks like a ladder, hench the name and works by keeping the bubbles exposed to the water for longer as they rise and giving more time for them to dissolve.

you should be able to google for more info.

CatfishDon

Registered Member
Apr 1, 2017
it is a way to diffuse CO2 in the water made by hagen... it looks like a ladder, hench the name and works by keeping the bubbles exposed to the water for longer as they rise and giving more time for them to dissolve.

you should be able to google for more info.
Thanks for the info. I did google it and fill like it's not for my tanks. Heavily planted lack of space even in the larger tanks. I think my existing method is better. Thanks again for the info.

Aryman

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2017
Thanks for the info. I did google it and fill like it's not for my tanks. Heavily planted lack of space even in the larger tanks. I think my existing method is better. Thanks again for the info.
So I tried using an air stone but the filter stops due to the pressure and just empties. Out of curiosity Don what is your method as lack of space is an issue with me?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store