DIY sump question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blackthunda77

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
deveation.web1000.com
i got this over flow and this return pump that im trying to use in my diy 10 gal sump. the problem i am having is that #1 it seems that the pump is pumping out water faster than my overflow and put in into the sump, so my tank is over flowing and and my sump will run dry in a matter of 10-20 sec. also once i unplug the pump the return line keeps draining water back iknto the sump making that over flow, same goes for the overflow, itll keep sucking out water until it gets lower than the grooves in the overflor box. the pump i got is from someone and its the mag drive 7 i think its rated at 700gph. the overflow i got from him is only a single. can the pump be too stroong for the overflow and how can i get the return lines and the overflow to stop sucking water once the pump is off in case of a power outage, and when the wers out how can i keep the lines primed to get it to start back up on its own. someone pleae help. im gettin frustrated.

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
700gph sounds like it will be to high of an output for the overflow box. So, you should probably down grade your pump size since the sump is only 10gallons.

To stop the water from siphoning back down the pump line into the sump I drilled a hole in the water return line. I drilled the hole so that during normal operation it is slightly below the water line. This way in a power outage the water will only drain a slight bit to that hole then the siphon will be broken.

What type of overflow do you have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store