DIY Tank - Help and Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tropical dude

Taking Fishkeeping to new heights
Mar 21, 2009
Sadly this will be against a wall, not behind it. If it is possible to make a plywood tank look good, I would go for this. Perhaps sand and finish the plywood?

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
there are plenty of ways to make a plywood tank look great. Doesn't take much to trim it out and stain it. I've seen some amazing plywood tanks.

Take this one for example:

Attachments

tropical dude

Mar 21, 2009
And what would you estimate this costing? Not including my time of course. LOL

And that is an amazing tank. I think that is almost better than a all glass tank. At least I do not have to worry about scraping algae off the back of something like that.

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Well the one in the pics is like 300+ gallons and cost prolly $1500 to make. smaller one like you want would prolly run $400-$500 depending on the price of the glass.

tropical dude

Mar 21, 2009
So I am not really saving that much money? I could just buy one for $600.

Would using a pond liner be any cheaper?

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
If you shop around and buy wisely you could build one your size in the 200-400 dollar range, again depending on glass prices etc. I want to look into this myself.

Mike

tropical dude

Mar 21, 2009
That is the price range I was really looking for. But that was actually when I was still going for a 135 (72x18x25). I will look at some of the things I need next time I go to a hardware store. Last time I got a price on plywood was for a roof (about 2-3 years ago).

I think I may take this project on this spring/summer. By then I will of saved up enough money to build this tank properly and I won't have to skimp on anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store