DIY Water Bridge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
If you have lots of current in the water-bridges (I have a canister filter inlets on one tank and the outlets in different tanks to direct water-flow through the bridges), most dirt and debris will go to the tank that the current it going to. In other words, one tank will stay clean, the other tank will be 2x as dirty (in my case 3 tanks stay clean, 1 tank is 4x as dirty). I have all the water-bridge flow going towards one of my planted tanks. This tank is the only one that gets real dirty gravel. In the other tanks the gravel stays unbelievablely clean.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
test4echo said:
These bridges are pretty cool. Someone could make lots 'o' moolah selling these.$$$$$$$
Doubtfully. Time and the high cost of material would make this a poor business venture.
That someone would probably also run into legal problems if they did make a good $ on it. This idea has been patented quite a few times since the year 1877 (Patent # 192,595). The latest being in 1997, PN# 5,634,433.
http://www.patentreader.com/cache/US5634433.pdf

Last edited:

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Would having 2 canister filters running in this sequence cause current in the bridge? Seems to me in a regular setup with 2 or 4 HOBs the water in the tube would be stagnant.

Canister A - spraybar in tank A and intake in tank B
Canister B - spraybar in tank B and intake in tank A

This way water is always being pulled through the bridge going from 1 tank to the other.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
IceH2O said:
Would having 2 canister filters running in this sequence cause current in the bridge? Seems to me in a regular setup with 2 or 4 HOBs the water in the tube would be stagnant.

Canister A - spraybar in tank A and intake in tank B
Canister B - spraybar in tank B and intake in tank A

This way water is always being pulled through the bridge going from 1 tank to the other.
No, there would not be any current in the bridge. The flow in/out of each tank through the canisters would neutralize the flow in the bridge.

IMO, the best way is to add another filter, like this set-up-
Canister 1- spraybar and intake in tank A.
Canister 2- spraybar and intake in tank B.
Canister 3- spraybar in tank A, intake in tank B.

It's best to have atleast 1 dedicated filter for each tank and 1 filter for each water-bridge. If you ever need to shutdown the water-bridge, you'll understand why. (Actually, you can get flow in a multitude of bridges with just 1 canister).

Here is my 4 tank set-up-
Canister 1 Filstar XP1 - spraybar and intake in tank A.
Canister 2 Filstar XP3- spraybar and intake in tank A.
Canister 3 Filstar XP2- spraybar and intake in tank B.
Canister 4 Filstar XP2- spraybar and intake in tank B.
Canister 5 Filstar XP2- spraybar and intake in tank C
Canister 6 Filstar XP2- spraybar and intake in tank D.
Canister 7 Filstar XP3- spraybar and intake in tank D.
Canister 8 Eheim 2026- spraybar in tank A, intake in tank C.
Canister 9 Eheim 2026- spraybar in tank D, intake in tank C.

Tank A is a very low light 90g river tank.
Tank B is a low-light floating plant 95g tank.
Tank C is a med-light fully planted 85g tank.
Tank D is a high-light fully planted 190g tank.

My CO2 reactor is connected to the output to a XP3 canister on the 190g tank.
My UV Sterilzer is connected to the output of the Eheim canister going to the 90g river tank.

I will add another UV sterilizer to the other Eheim canister in the near future.

Another note (Warning)-
Disease control in a multi-tank set-up like mine is very difficult.
Sick fish can go unnoticed for weeks, maybe months. They can move from tank to tank and you might not ever see them until it's too late.
Unfortunately, I have 3 Quarantine tanks running right now, treating sick fish.

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
chefkeith said:
Unfortunately, I have 3 Quarantine tanks running right now, treating sick fish.
Hope it's going well for you...no, not b/c I think I have some stake in the outcome (they're still your fish to do with as you please!) but for your own sanity! To assemble such an AWESOME set-up and have something like disease render it near useless must make your guts ache!
Really, awesome in every sense of the word! :bowing:

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
thanks Bill.

At times I feel like I should just euthanize all the sick fish (4 Tiger barbs, 5 Boesemani, and 1 Clown Loach) because I don't want to spend my time maintaining 3 q-tanks and giving these sick fish special care. I did euthenized a clown loach a week ago, but I think he was hours away from death anyway. About 20 minutes ago, I just quarantined 1 of the Tiger barbs from the quarantine tank in a pitcher of water. Out of nowhere, the poor barb just started swimming erratically belly up. I ain't going to let this go on for much longer. I put some baking soda, epsom salt, and whole cloves in the pitcher with the fish.

test4echo

Registered Seabeast
Jan 14, 2006
iansmith said:
Getting the air out is easy, just thread an air-tube and suck it out. It's amazing how much air the average humans lungs can hold. :)

I used that with a little fish diving-bell I was playing around with in a 10 gallon. I also want to make a bridge from plexiglass. (Click for bigger images)

I used some floating pellets to lure the fish up there. The molly learned quick.. would swim up into it whenever I walked by. :)

Finally going to get him some friends. Tank has cycled (and been upgraded to a 20 long) and I plan on adding some females and Bio-Spira tomorrow.
Is there a hole in the jar to add in food?

iansmith

AC Members
Feb 23, 2006
www.ian.org
test4echo said:
Is there a hole in the jar to add in food?
Nope, a hole at the top would let all the water out.

I just held the pellets in the water and released them under the jar and they would float to the top, quickly followed by hungry fish.

test4echo

Registered Seabeast
Jan 14, 2006
Ohhhh. I know some guy who has one that isn't filled up, just the top of the jar is touching the surface of the water. It is filled with branches and plants and he puts crickets and flys in their through a flap at the top and his archerfish goes under the jar and shoots them down. It's a neat idea for an archer because when ever it gets hungry, it just goes under the jar and looks for food.

Nim Dibbley

Nim Dibbley
Feb 20, 2006
Sacramento, California
what about heating requirements? it looks like we shall attempt this with two 10 gallon tanks. you think i would need to put a heater in each one? or would one 20 gal heater work well enough for both tanks?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store