Dna

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
pophead said:
about mutations. when mutations occur it is because cells have lost information and are damaged. therefore no good mutation can occur.
So if you had $100.00 in the bank but their computer system lost the decimal, that wouldn't benefit you simply because it wasn't intentional? (ignoring the moral aspects of taking $900 that isn't yours of course) Or what if the data representing the 1 got damaged and was read as a 7? Very simplistic example, but I think it makes the point. It's unlikely that a mistake will be in your favor, but considering the huge number of mistakes that occur, there are bound to be some that work out.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I think that's a good example- I think a good mutation to illustrate how these things can benefit a species and become entrenched in the population is sickle cell anemia. mutations are just changes in the code, many are bad, but some are just simple things like a new color morph showing up in a species of birds, things like that, and some in the right combination are beneficial, and help an individual survive and pass on those same genes. .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store