Do 40 watt 30inch bulbs exist?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
CO2 is going to be a use or don't use thing. As in, everyday or don't use it at all.
With that said. If you use pressurized, you can turn it off at night. That would be the exception to running or not.

I don't have much experience with plants yet. So don't take everything I say as completely failsafe, right.
And now, with that said.
I've been reading about it off and on for years. Mostly in forums like this.
The one thing that seemed necessary, was to have enough light to be able to watch the plants grow. As in, enough growth to hender algae, and remove nitrates.
I've found this to be far from being a fact, now that I've done some growing myself.

My first, real planted tank, was my 30g, 36"L tank.
It's primary purpose, was to grow snails(food) for my brothers puffers. So I had nothing to worry about, and had a good opportunity to try some plants.
I got every type(about 5) of plant my LFS had.
Put a 96w CF + the 30w florecent I already had, over it.
Had about an inch layer of Seachem Flourite, plus another inch or so of plain 'ol aquarium gravel over that.
The bottom of the lights, sitting on the glass top. Were about 13 1/2" from the gravel.
I was using DIY CO2 run through a PH.
Not much at all for water movement in the tank. And basically nothing at the surface.
I wouldn't recommend this with fish present.
But I'm sure it kept alot of co2 In the tank, for the plants.

Yea, thats alot of light. And I'm sure if we used that, weatherman, heat index. Those plants were feeling 5-6 wpg.

But I think I'm trying to make a point here. lol

Below are some pics of start and finish of that planted tank. The plants(at finish) went into the 55g, in my sig.

Full shot from start-up. 2-23-09

Here is a pic I have of the right half of the tank, pointing out some anacharis growth. It started out as a hitch hiker. That inch tall plant inside the 3 squares.
2-23-09

Here is the same right half 2 months later on 4-21-09

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
This is what I was trying to explain about the kind of(almost) growth you could look fwd to in your 20, with 40+ wts.
Granted, the 40w wouldn't be this intense. But I'm sure would be feeling it, in a few months, once things kicked in real good.
Aint no way I would have wanted to try to keep up with that much light in that small of a tank.
It was neat to look at, while I had it going. All the little (pearling) bubbles comming up from the plants was neat.

That anacharis...
It had grown to about 8" pretty quick, once it started growing.
And while doing a wc, and obviously being bored. I made an arch out of it, and stuck the top into the substrate. :) Gotta be bored to come up with that idea. ;)
The next afternoon, it was comming back up out of the ground. As in turnt under ground and started upward again, and sticking out about a half inch. By the time it grew another 6", it had 4 or 5 more stems that had started off of the arch. Now I had even more stems growing around 2" a day. And into what you seen in the last pic of the previous post.
Did you notice all the little bubbles at the surface? lol cool huh.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Back to your latest...

If you want/are going to run CO2. I would go with that last light I mentioned.

If your not going with CO2.
I think you'll be happy/content with 40w(2-20s) over the glass top.

As for the Double Light Fixture. I just looked at my 20. And the problem I see with using the double light, is that the seam(black strip) in the glass top will be in the way. And blocking Alot of light!
Were as, if you use two seperate fixtures. One will fit on each peice of glass, basically unobstructed.

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Wow! Your tank looks great! I would really like to do co2, just because of all the benifits i heard about. With co2 I should go for a higher wattage correct? Is there any other lights that i could use (only because thoes lights are a bit expensive for me). I do like the idea of higher wattage, but not too much light. My co2 would not be preassurized, either DIY from a store and just use my home formula, or just making the entire system myself (outta a bottle)

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Wow! Your tank looks great! I would really like to do co2, just because of all the benifits i heard about. With co2 I should go for a higher wattage correct? Is there any other lights that i could use (only because thoes lights are a bit expensive for me). I do like the idea of higher wattage, but not too much light. My co2 would not be preassurized, either DIY from a store and just use my home formula, or just making the entire system myself (outta a bottle)

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
The most common mistake is to automatically think you need more light. HLS (high light syndrome) afflicts many people.

Again, stay at or below 2 wpg. Anything more and DIY Co2 is not going to cut it, even with a smaller tank. In that range you should be able to grow pretty much all but the very demanding plants anyways so no need to go higher. The simpler you keep the tank, the more success you will have.

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Alright, I'm going to aim for 40 watts. Maybe with the two seperate fixtures and glass hood. Thats going to be my best bet..

Thanks everyone!

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Yea, I guess that depends more on the amount and type of plants, from the get go.

So sure, if you have plenty of plants, shoot some CO2 at'm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store