Do Amano shrimp fight?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deocder

redcoed
May 3, 2004
NOVA
Visit site
Maybe I just have too many in my 10 gallon tank. There are/were 6 total. I'm using my 10 gallon as a grow up tank for them before they go into my 55. Today I found either a shell or a carcass.

Do Amano shrimp need special treatment other than available algae? I've read that they need iodine but have not added any. In short, how do I take care of my shrimp?

The shell/carcass is in the lower part of the picture between the babys tear and the bogwood.

LittlePuff

LittlePuff
May 18, 2004
Peoria,IL
Visit site
Get some reef iodine, add one drop per 5gal. If you have soft water, you'll need a liquid calcium supplement. You may want to add Hikari Crab Cuisine to their diets(extra calcium.) They need the iodine to help with the molting process. The calcium for hardening their new shells. They also need hiding places. It takes a few days to harden their shells and they can't defend themselves as well.

Kim

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
What you found is just a molt, basically its how the shrimp grow, they shed their outer layer of exoskeleton, and their new layer is larger than the old. Basically it depends upon your water parameters if you need to add anything special or not. I would avoid adding anything to the water if you can help it if you raise them in the 10gal with the supplemented water conditioner, your going to have to do it for the 55 as well, which may have an impact upon the other inhabitants in the 55, possibly not in a positve way. If you have a pH above 7, and at least slightly hard water, the shrimp will be fine. The amanos are mainly herbivorous, and so the crab diet wouldn't be as beneficial to them as it would other crusteacans (spelling). The best thing to do with them is feed them a spirulina flake and supplement their diet with cucumber or zucchini.

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
No they will not fight! I have a ton of them in all my aquariums and they are huge and happy! They molt.... alot. That is just a molt and totally normal.
Enjoy your shrimpies, they are a lot of fun to watch.

Otocinclus

AC Members
Aug 27, 2004
Northern California
Molts are translucent, the shrimp turn kinda white-pinkish if they die. Very easy to distinguish between the two when you first discover a dead shrimp.

Props on stocking amano shrimp, they rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store