Do discus have a mating ritual?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
There are really worth the extra effort.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
If they haven't spawned before, it's my understanding that it's best to let them practice... Mine have eaten the eggs twice - next time I'm gonna keep them in a separate tank or maybe pull the cone with the eggs once the male gives it a going over... not sure if that's the best thing tho...

Oh - i noticed that on days i do a double water change it has triggered spawning
water changes tend to trigger spawns in many SA cichlids. I know that a couple degrees cooler water has been suggested as a trigger to get angels to spawn.

it's a good idea to let them attempt spawns ..if you start to get wigglers you should move the pair if you want them to successfully spawn.

the stress in a community will usually lead to babies getting eaten unless you have a large tank where the pair can seclude the fry.

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Cool, thanx for the pointers. Hopefully I will have babies soon.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
If they haven't spawned before, it's my understanding that it's best to let them practice... Mine have eaten the eggs twice - next time I'm gonna keep them in a separate tank or maybe pull the cone with the eggs once the male gives it a going over... not sure if that's the best thing tho...

Oh - i noticed that on days i do a double water change it has triggered spawning
Bad idea. The young feed off their parent's slimey skin.

If you take em out, guess whos gunna die? The fry! (I know, lame rhyme, couldnt resist)

mobilecow

AC Members
Mar 9, 2007
Puffer ->> what if i leave the male in? i know it's ideal to have both parents in... i don't suppose it's like angels where the female goes on the rampage? just curious - i am gonna let mine keep trying till they figure it out right. i've got a second pair that looks like they are on the verge of something. let's see if these two can figure it out - they're older fish

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Bad idea. The young feed off their parent's slimey skin.

If you take em out, guess whos gunna die? The fry! (I know, lame rhyme, couldnt resist)
it is best to leave the fry with the parent discus..but it is possible to rear the fry sans the parents.
is it a good idea..probably not..but it has been done and can be done..but who wants to take on that responsibility?

it is very time consuming, requires egg yolk mixtures and plenty of water changes.
mobile cow, discus are very different from angels..(domestic) wild angels are very different from domestic angels.

if the discus eat their offspring..there is usually something amiss.

luvjaxx

AC Members
May 8, 2007
I have 4 pair that spawn all the time. Eating the wigglers and fry after couple days. I had three pair in divided tanks. Didn't help. Then moved two pair into 29s and so far I have had free swimmers in one of the tanks for two days ( I am excited) I have wigglers in the other two tanks expect free swimmers by tomarrow. In my large tank I have several discus other than the pair that is in there and a pair of angels. The angels cleaned a place. The discus fought them for it (discus won). Angels spawned somewhere else. Discus...she layed he ate while she was laying...Good luck with yours any body have any suggestions for me.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it is best to leave the fry with the parent discus..but it is possible to rear the fry sans the parents.
is it a good idea..probably not..but it has been done and can be done..but who wants to take on that responsibility?

it is very time consuming, requires egg yolk mixtures and plenty of water changes.
mobile cow, discus are very different from angels..(domestic) wild angels are very different from domestic angels.

if the discus eat their offspring..there is usually something amiss.
sometimes it just takes a lot of practice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store