do eclipse hoods work or are they junk?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greendeltatke

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Chicago
I have an Eclipse 2, I think the lighting works out to 1.5 wpg. My anubis and crypt are doing well. I don't think floating plants or tall delicate plants would work well because of the very strong current.

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
im planning on getting a small shoal of black and normal neons. since they like subdued lighting i guess ill get som floating plants. i read a post on how you can plug the output on a tube that goes lower in the tank instead of sounding like a toilet. then vals could grow nice and tall. ill have t see when i get the tank

besyboom

coriecrazy
Jun 13, 2005
florida
I love my hoods i have a one and a three, i use floss on top of the filter cause of the plants, they last a little longer, and i just found www.bigalsonline.com and found the three packs of filters for 6 dollers rather than the 13 i was paying at the lfs, the water always looks clear and the plants are doing good so far!! :idea:

Last edited:

SCU33ZE

Toilet Power
Mar 23, 2005
South Miami
mvigor said:
BTW: This is what they look like inside:

I made the mistake of thinking that the single light version would be "ok", but I'm kicking myself for not buying the two bulb version for $6 more.
Very true....

The twin lamp is the way to go. Especially if plants are in the tank.
At 15W the single lamp is only good for viewing the fish and maybe some java fern.

The only complaint i have is that my tank never goes below 82*F since the lamps are actually like 1 inch from the water surface and the vents are located inside, yes, inside the hood.....
But at 2.5 WPG the twin lamp does great with most plants.

HTH!!

Black_Moor

Aquarium = The Anti-Prozac!
Dec 10, 2005
Seattle
I ordered the Eclipse I hood for my 15 Gallon High tank, and I have to say I'm very displeased with it.. I know some probably also had the same issue as me but it arrived broken, the motor and the outlet for water were seperated where they were once glued together, and it was missing the impellar shaft.

I ordered mine from DrsfosterSmith, but.. since it was prepackaged from Marineland i don't count them for fault that it was already seperated. Instead of sending it all back I went to the companies website and it's been nothing but a nightmare since trying to get replacement parts.

Read over the Eclipse threads and make your own judgements, but also consider others recomendations. I for one in the future will not use a Eclipse .. and if I did it would be on something much smaller like their 6 or 3 gallon setup simply for a Betta.

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
I've had my Eclipse II on Tall 25 for 5+ years and have had no problems with it.

I just had to change out one of the flouorescent starters which was no big deal. it's easy to break down & re-assemble.

As for the lighting...
I have a 15 W Daylight(original) as well as a 15 W PowerGlo.

This combination of lights makes my plants happy & brings out the fish colors incredibly well.

The filtration works fine with my plants. I just rinse out the filter about once every two weeks & it's all good with very little bypass.

Now, if they only made an Eclipse Setup for a 125 Gallon, I'd be in Tank Heaven!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store