Do fish sleep?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Sharks don't have to keep moving as long as water can flow through their gills. Same as any fish that breathes through its gills.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
They have no eyelids, and need a dark tank in order to sleep, wich is why you should have the lights on for 12-14H a day and turn the lights out at schedualed times and not turn them back on after that.

RanchuRick

Go Flames Go
Feb 19, 2005
All my fish sleeps and maintains reflex control of their 'balance', but I had seen one goldfish completely out and just floating around. I thought it was dead; turned on the light and it woke up and swam away.

ryanalex

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
California
Dolphins sleep by having half their brain sleep as they swim. They will switch what half is sleeping throughout the day. This way they are not completely unconscious like us, humans. kind of neat.

Here is an interesting link from MIT: http://web.mit.edu/seagrant/edu/res/dolphinsleep/

They answer other interesting questions, like do fish talk?

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
i think most of them fishies do....

my red devil is like a statue at about 6am in the morning, it normally flares at me whenever it sees me but at this time... even if i put my face in the tank.. its just there motionless... when i make a sound it swims away fast as if startled then once it realizes that its me it starts flaring again..

with regards to the sharks.. they do sleep i think.. i saw some documentaries in nat'l geographic where divers visit some shark dens... underwater caves... and the sharks there are motionless and out of it.... just lying around.. like resting or sumthing...

maybe they dont have to move to breathe sufficient oxygen since animals usually have smaller O2 requirements while sleeping bec. some body functions are shut down.. but im no zoologist so its just a maybe :rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store