Do fish tanks smell....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
or is it like a litter box, if you keep it clean no one knows you have cats until they see them?

My tank(s) does not have a noticeable smell, but I have noticed at some fish stores you can smell "something" when you walk in the door. Not unpleasant old tank ammonia, but something watery? Has anyone noticed this before?

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
When you get a lot of tanks in a store, you are gonna smell a little something...a healthy salt water tank should smell, well...salty. A healthy freshwater tank should have a sweet, earthy smell. Anything else, and your tank is telling you something (usually "please give me a water change...") :D

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Dampness? Mildew? Sloppy handling of fish in and out of tanks? Careless minmum wage employees doing water changes? Ventilation inadequacies? I think most folks have a lot more respect for their home and tanks than the employees at some fish stores.

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
One store I frequent has the smell when you walk in. It's very reputable, immaculately clean, I've never lost a fish purchased there, and I rarely see "floaters".

I was thinking it might have to do with the volume of tanks, think Petsmart x 4.

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
Moisture in the air, mold, fish food... one of the first petstores I made purchases from used alot of stress coat and now when I get a whiff of that medicine-like smell it makes me think of getting new fish during my early years. No tap water is 100% pure and evaporation releases different smells. Unless it smells fishy I wouldn't equate it with poor maintenance.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
My tanks have the same scent as fresh turned dirt in my gardens or flower beds. Not really a bad smell...just a real earthy spring smell to me. Odd or not...I like it :)

mduros

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
www.maryduros.com
As mykidsmylife described, occasionally I smell that scent in my tanks, I notice it when evaporation is high. And I think it may come from the aquarium plants. I also like it and find it pleasantly intoxicating like the smell of freshly cut grass or freshly watered gardens. However, some fish shops have an over-powering scent. Ammonia maybe? I always assume they have poor filtration and don't know what they are doing, so I walk right back out. But the good scent is a nice surprise.
Take care,
Mary.

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
One of the best LFSs I know always smells real good, like a rainforest or nature overload or something because the place is small but has like 150 tanks there. One of the most reputable places I know. They'll really sell you only the right fish and I've seen them refuse to sell certain fish to someone who wouldn't house it in the right size tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store