Do I need to boil driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SmallFishi

I'm addicted to Aquaria Central!
Nov 8, 2006
Canada
It smelled just like the store probably because it had been there for a while or something, you know how smells can attach to clothes, wooden chests etc.
It smelled fine after nice and earthy definately not a stinky wood.

evster

AC Members
Oct 12, 2006
San Diego, CA
It wouldn't really hurt to boil the driftwood, but from my experience buying several pieces at petco its not really necessary. Some pieces I've boiled, others I have not, and I've never had a problem with any of them.

One thing I've heard is that boiling driftwood shortens its effective lifetime in your tank. I can't confirm this, but I believe I read it here in another post.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
Here is the driftwood I collected. It was scrubbed with bleach, power washed, and the put in the tank with dechlor.

SmallFishi

Nov 8, 2006
Canada
Wow that's amazing like antlers! I love your fish!! What size tank is that?
What is the looong fish?

My wood had a label that says it was cleaned to remove extraneous material! and is ensured to be safe for aquariums but that it will give off tannins.

Last edited:

SmallFishi

Nov 8, 2006
Canada
Gosh that's a big tank I am pretty terrified of the hugeness of my 55 gallon haha.
I love seeing the big fish at my LFS they have a fish that is similar in color and length to yours but it has more of a rounded lower mouth I am not sure what it is but it's beautiful to see them in the nice big tanks that's for sure.

gomezladdams

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
gilboa ny
Id at least soak it in bleach then hot water let it sit awhile.
I wouldnt consider a piece of wood safer just cause it came from a store,Id probably be more worried about it.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
no need for bleach - if done improperly it'll kill everything in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store