Do live plants or driftwood affect the cycling process?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
I've just set up my first tank, 37 gallons with a few pieces of driftwood (which are leaching tannins into the water so it's kind of the color of weak tea) and maybe 10 or 15 medium & small plants. I'm wondering if the plants or wood will have any effect on cycling. My understanding is that many plants take nitrites out of the water, but I don't know whether it's a significant amount.

Also my city water is testing at 8.2 pH out of the tap--are there many fish that can thrive in that environment, or does it limit my choices?

Thanks for your insights!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Having the driftwood leaking tannins will help to lower the pH of your water. You could also get a 7.0 buffer. African cichlids like the higher pH, but your tank is a little small for most of them.

Driftwood can assist in cycling because it helps to provide extra room for beneficial bacteria, so sometimes it can help. Some plants can also use a bit of ammonia and assist in cycling. But it depends on the species.

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
Thanks, Tifftastic! I'm a little afraid to try to alter the pH because I've been reading that it's tricky, but I'll have to investigate further.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You should test tap water pH after it has sat out for 24 hours. Many cities raise the pH temporarily to protect pipes. The wood may also lower pH a bit too from the tannins.

Plants may also have beneficial bacteria on them if from a tank, not much but it all helps a bit.

Livebearers often prefer higher pH (guppies, mollies, etc) & some fish can be adaptable to a wider range than "ideal" .

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
I didn't know that about possible pH adjustments at the source, I will follow your recommendation to test after the tap water sits for 24 hrs, fishorama, too see if it changes. That would be convenient. :) Good to know about livebearers. I have a lot of research to do--had no idea when I randomly got the idea to get an aquarium how complicated it is! I am a dog walker/pet sitter by trade and also ran a horse stable for a few years--and I have never met a mammal with care even a fraction as complicated as freshwater fish. I don't know how people even dare to try a saltwater tank...But someday...because saltwater tanks are so amazing... :)

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome TM!

37g's are a cool size, basically a super tall 20L, but given that height, can be challenge for plants. What type of lighting do you have? What type of plants? Yes they can consume nitrogen products and soften the effects of a cycling tank. More importantly IMO, how exactly are you cycling this tank? What are you adding for your ammonia source and how are you measuring?

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
It doesn't strike me as that tall, so maybe I misspoke about the size--bought it off Craigslist from a guy who said it's usually referred to as a 40g tank but in reality it's only 37g. The dimensions are 36" long, 15" deep, 16" tall.

Lighting--the Craigslist purchase included a Current light with two "dual daylight" tubes and nightlight, but that's another question I have--even with just one tube on, it's extremely bright--which maybe is good for plants? But so far the fish I'm interested in prefer dim lighting, so I'm wondering if I should look into at least one less bright light bulb? I have some stuff floating (plants, a cork log) that provides some top cover.

Plants--sorry, I've been buying them piecemeal and have forgotten some of the names already but a few are brazilian sword, water sprite, and anarchis. Also a couple other sword type plants, one of them is reddish. Others I can't remember their names.

Cycling--well, I got some possibly not-such-great advice about this at the LFS so I used a bottle of SafeStart and put 4 pearl danios and my Betta in there, and am just doing partial water changes and testing with an API master kit while I learn more. Currently have .25 ammonia, .25 nitrite, 0 nitrate. The fish have been in there about a week and seem to be doing well. My betta is just a different fish in there, he's really living it up. I'd hate to return him to his 5g tank to do a fishless cycle. So I probably will just forge ahead with a fish-in cycle. I was trying to buy some pre-seeded filter media but the online source I found can't ship right now due to the risk of freezing (shipping from NY). Wondering if I should ask my LFS but I'm afraid of possible contamination. I don't know any local fish people to ask for a piece of filter media, but maybe there's a club or something I can find.

The temp is about 76 and I have a hang-off-the-back 40g filter. Another question (sorry!!!) I have is, would it be beneficial when you're choosing a filter to get one rated for a bigger tank than you have? Or to get two filters? Or is that overkill?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, that size is called a 40g breeder, IMO a much better shape tank, good show!

Are your bulbs T-5 or T-8? The T (for some reason, lol) stands for 1/8 inch...so T-5 is a bit more than 1/2 inch, T-8 = 1 inch, T-12 (less usual anymore but ok) = 1 1/4 ". It should say on the bulb if you can't eyeball such measurements.

"Daylight" is often in the 6500-6700k (kelvin) range & fine for growing low - medium light plants like what you have. Others to consider are java fern, java moss & anubias (any type of those are attached to wood or rock not planted in the substrate), cryptocorynes (most). You can probably grow "vals" (vallisneria), the Italian spiral (not really "spiralis") kind would be nice in your tank & likes higher pH. Yeah, it's confusing.

Most stem plants won't be as happy but some can work. What is your substrate? For swords & crypts root tabs can help a lot.

Your current fish "should" be ok but test &/or change 50% water daily or almost...any ammonia or especially nitrite can damage fish gills long term. I think you are wise to not use lfs media, goodness knows what it may harbor. Tetra Safe Start or Dr Tim's 1 & Only are true nitrifying bacteria unlike some others that are the wrong BB species.

I have 2 HOB filters on all my tanks over 20g but there's no hurry for you to get another, there's only so much BB that can grow...but to me, it's nice to be able to clean 1 filter without sending the tank into a mini-cycle. Sorry TMI for right now.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, your doing great! That 40g is a great plant tank, you've got a test kit, you're on board with water changes and you've done your homework. It's actually kind of refreshing. Lol!

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
Oh, good! I was afraid y'all would tell me I absolutely must take the fish back or I'm a horrible person. :) I tend to over-research things, but this topic is like a full-time job and still I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface!!!

Yes, I really like this tank; I'm glad I got a bigger one than I was originally thinking of. Also I like that it's acrylic; nice & light, no black frame, and safer in an earthquake (I'm in CA).

Someday when I'm rich :) I'll get one of those sleek LED lights, but meanwhile...these bulbs are about about 1/2 inch, so T-5; actually there are 4 of them; 2 sets of 2, and there is a fan built into one end apparently to dissipate heat, but it doesn't seem to work.

I haven't heard of most of the plants you mentioned, fishorama, except Java fern & Java moss. It would be cool to have some things growing on the driftwood. I got black Eco Complete Planted Aquarium substrate hoping it would keep the plants happy while I focus on figuring out other stuff, and also because dark substrate is supposed to be closer to the natural habitat of many tropical fish and maybe make their colors more vivid.

Ahh, I didn't think of that benefit in having more than one filter. Good system.

Thank you both for taking the time to give me your guidance!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store