Do not buy this product!!!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jcahow

AC Members
Jan 9, 2010
Look at it this way, this thermostat in the heater is a two bit part just waiting to fail. If it is a mechanical thermostat then the more it is used the faster it wears out. Personally I think it is better to use two smaller heaters and connect them both to a heater controller as mentioned above. The controller has its own temperature sensor and is designed for a single purpose and actually turns off/on the electricity to the heater. That's why you set the heater temperature slightly higher than the controller setting so that when it turns on the actual power the heater always goes on. The JBJ model I use (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21333) also displays the tank temperature is large LED numbers for easy viewing. Heater sizing depends not only on the size of the tank, but also on how the specified tank temperature relates to the actual room temperature. The larger the difference in temperatures the larger heating requirements. Water circulation is important too otherwise just one spot in the tank is heated.

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
I recently got an eheim jagr trutemp 75 watt heater. I didn't know if it was a good company since I've never heard of it before. My dad just got it because it was made in Germany and it was cheap. He said that 75 watts was good enough (is it?). Is this company good? Have any of you had it before? The store I got it from, Pisces, uses it so I guess it should be okay.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Eheim (and Ebo Jager) are both long-standing and highly regarded/respected names in the aquarium industry.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I unplug my heaters for summer. NONE of them stop heating when the room gets warmer, no heater of the 4 or 5 brands I've tried ever stopped heating.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I unplug my heaters for summer. NONE of them stop heating when the room gets warmer, no heater of the 4 or 5 brands I've tried ever stopped heating.
are you saying they don't turn off?

I leave mine plugged in as the temp where I live often drops below a comfortable temp for my fish..we still drop into the 50's at night here ;)
I have switched nearly all my heaters to Jagers.. replacing the once reliable stealth heaters..
the jaegers have proven very dependable for me and I like the fact there is an indicator that tells me it's doing it's job(or at least attempting to)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store