Do Pest snails eat plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkswrestles

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland
hey,
i was lookin in my tank and found some eggs from hitchhikin snails that i got with my plants. Do these snails eat live plants? Do MTS eat live plants?
thanks

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
MTS do not under normal conditions eat live plants. They don't lay eggs either- so the eggs arn't MTS.

The eggs are going to most likely be bladder snails or Ramshorns. If so they're unlikely to eat your healthy plants- they would eat plants rather than starve but they prefer algae and dead/dying plant matter/ fish food- etc.

They also won't reproduce if food is not plentiful- so your plants should be safe... just don't overfeed.

Snails are a great addition to an aqaurium and have more pros than cons.

Last edited:

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Ditto. They are probably common ramshorns or pond snails. Neither eat live plants, they eat algae and vegies and stuff like that.

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
In one of my tanks the ramshorns would eat live and healthy frogbit.

In my shrimp tank something is eating my needleleaf java fern, the healthy leaves. I have MTS, ramshorns and a nerite in there. I'm not positive but I think the MTS are doing it. There are a few large ones in there.

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
It's true there isn't much algae in this tank except for the black brush kind which nobody seems to be eating. But I have seen the MTS hanging off the java fern leaves. That's why I suspect them.

How much algae is available for the nerite? I'm just guessing but a semi-starving nerite might switch to plants if it's algae crave is not satisfied. Again, just guessing...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store