Do you gravel vac every time you do a water change?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SkiGal

AC Members
May 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Simple question really. I vacuum the gravel every week when I do a water change and am wondering if this is not a good thing. Does it really kill beneficial bacteria?

Thanks

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I gravel vac every week. I have a lot of plants so there are certain spots I can't get to but I vac where I can. Never noticed any issues.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
No, but all my gravel tanks are RUGF.....vac'ing doesn't kill the bacteria by the way.

SkiGal

AC Members
May 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys!

Someone told me that I should not gravel vac every week when I do a water change because it kills the beneficial bacteria. I was pretty certain that it was not true but just thought I'd ask for some clarity on the issue.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I don't, but it's only because my tanks are heavily planted.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Every time I water-change every 3-6 weeks depending on nitrate levels (at 40 PPM I change) and I have fine sand so there is not much to pick up. But at the beginning of the water-change process when I first place the siphon inside I use the vac-attachment tube and suck up columns of sand about 2/3rds up the tube then release and the agitation really separates out any debris. It also gives me a chance to redistribute sand that my Cichlids have piled up unevenly outside their caves. The vac is a good thing and so are weekly-biweekly water changes if you do not have a nitrate filter like me.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Yes, .................:idea:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store