do you have a dream setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chibikaie

AC Members
Nov 19, 2011
New England, USA
You're looking at it all wrong. Equiptment is a necessary evil. My dream tank is large enough to not require any equiptment.
I like how you think.

Personally, I would like a 150 gallon (or larger) with a built-in overflow (I do not want to plumb a do-it-yourself version together, this always ends in tears for me!) and a sump for growing duckweed and other plants. I don't really know what equipment I'd like for it, though. I've been very happy with AquaClear power filters and random sponge filters run on Tetratec air pumps. They're quiet, reliable, and simple to maintain.

Eheim does have a very good reputation. If you want fancy toys to aspire to, I would go with them.

I do know that I want LED lights, but haven't found a model/brand that I like. Sunlight Supply has a good plant light (screws into a regular desk lamp) but it does tint everything bright pink.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Wow! Check out these responses! I am glad to find out that the terra safe is decent. I still want to give prime a go when I run out of the aquasafe. Also I am glad to see that my hotb filters being eyes sores isn't just me. Is there a how to or explanation on other style filters? Money is kind of an issue, but I like laying out a plan before doing stuff, so I would like to start a list now for a future tank layout. Oh phones dying! Going to plug it in, I will reply more later.

Ok, made it to a desktop computer. I really like some of the dream tanks that have been posted, most of them have made me realize that you can go as big or small as you want, because running an aquarium is the ultimate custom job.

A tank so big you don't need filtration?! sounds interesting.
Also I really like the idea of hiding or concealing the equipment. Anyone have their equipment hidden now? I would love to see a picture and maybe a description on how you did it.

Thanks again guys!!!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I stand corrected. THIS is what I want for filtration:

http://www.santa-monica.cc/Hang-On-...ubber-UAS--05-Cubes-feeding-per-day_p_21.html

If hornwort doesn't help me with my nitrate problem, I am totally buying one of these (I suck at DIY, so I've come to the reluctant conclusion that it's going to be safer to have someone else build me what I want and NOT flood my bedroom every time I make a mistake).
Unfortunatly, that's not a filtration device. It's a device meant to keep algae out of your tank by collecting it all in that unit for easy disposal. It does not provide mechanical, chemical, or biological filtration. Potentially a great device to have to keep algae at bay, but not for using in place of a filter.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
...Is there a how to or explanation on other style filters?... ...Anyone have their equipment hidden now? I would love to see a picture and maybe a description on how you did it...
A canister filter isn't necessarily going to keep the inside of your tank any less cluttered, and in fact will add more underwater parts. They have both an intake (like an HOB) and also a output, usually either a spraybar, or a directional flow output. But above water they are much less intrusive, because the main body of the filter is actually under the tank. This can be a double bonus, as while canister filters are usually very silent on their own, if they are contained in a closed stand, it will remove any slight hum that may have remained.

In my 150G cichlid tank, I have my equipment hidden, but not in any fancy way. I have a large fake plant in each corner of the tank, which are big and bushy enough to cover up the inputs, outputs, and heaters in each corner. I use the directional outputs, and actually poke them through the front of the plant, to keep the plants from swaying and revealing the equipment. Other than that, I run my hoses down those same corners, and along the bottom to their destination, behind the rocks in the tank, so they as well are hidden. All you see are rocks, cichlids, fake plants, and bubbles.

chibikaie

AC Members
Nov 19, 2011
New England, USA
Unfortunatly, that's not a filtration device. It's a device meant to keep algae out of your tank by collecting it all in that unit for easy disposal. It does not provide mechanical, chemical, or biological filtration. Potentially a great device to have to keep algae at bay, but not for using in place of a filter.
No, it doesn't provide mechanical or chemical, which is fine because I wouldn't be using it alone (didn't make that clear in my excitement). I happen to think it should count as biological filtration - it deals with nitrogen and it's alive, but maybe you have a more narrow definition of it than I do. At any rate, who really cares what we call it, as long as it's useful in helping keep your fish healthy? That's my main goal.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
In that case I'm all for it. Was just worried that you or someone reading might try and use it as the sole purpose of filtration for a tank, and end up with a problem.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
A canister filter isn't necessarily going to keep the inside of your tank any less cluttered, and in fact will add more underwater parts. They have both an intake (like an HOB) and also a output, usually either a spraybar, or a directional flow output. But above water they are much less intrusive, because the main body of the filter is actually under the tank. This can be a double bonus, as while canister filters are usually very silent on their own, if they are contained in a closed stand, it will remove any slight hum that may have remained.

In my 150G cichlid tank, I have my equipment hidden, but not in any fancy way. I have a large fake plant in each corner of the tank, which are big and bushy enough to cover up the inputs, outputs, and heaters in each corner. I use the directional outputs, and actually poke them through the front of the plant, to keep the plants from swaying and revealing the equipment. Other than that, I run my hoses down those same corners, and along the bottom to their destination, behind the rocks in the tank, so they as well are hidden. All you see are rocks, cichlids, fake plants, and bubbles.

Well that is good to know. I am a fan of trying to get a more natural look, by hiding the equipment, so this is something I will consider trying to do myself as well then.

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
My dream setup (in the home i currently inhabit) is a 6 foot tank (not sure how many gallons I'd like), stocked with Tanganyika cichlids - probably Frontosas of some kind.

I'll stick with Eheim and Hydor ETH for filtration and heating, as I currently use this combo on my 75g, and it works fantastically. For the lighting I'd love one of the ATI dimmable T5 fixtures with the controller that can simulate sunrise and sunsets.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
125 heavily planted with a CO2 system and t5ho lighting and discus and a bunch of schoolers and cories mmmmm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store