Do you really need a carbon cartridge in your filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
So, what you are saying is, I really don't need carbon except for removing meds? I absolutely HATE having to spend money on filter cartridges for my penguin filter EVERY month, and then having to buy seperate carbon for my aquaclear.

So, if what you are saying is correct... should I just leave the biofiber in the filter, such as whats included with my generic 250gph filter, and just run the biowheel filter and sponge filter in my 29, WITHOUT THE CARBON CARTRIDGE, just the wheel and sponge filter, and then replace the carbon in the aquaclear on my 40 with another bag of bio max?

I mean, fish urine is ammonia, correct? So the bio bacteria should remove it, and the need for carbon is non existent other than to remove meds.. So should I just keep a few on hand just in case?

Also, what is the need to replace the foam in the aquaclear filter? I can see rinsing it off, but other than that it shouldn't degrade THAT much, and harbors beneficial bacteria. Just seems like a money making scheme to me.

I want to make sure that I can, in fact, get away without using carbon before I take it off my tanks. I don't want to have a massive spike or anything. Also, what do you do for mechanical filtration? I mean, that is the purpose of those cartridges you buy for the penguin filters. Do you use something else? Or just let it flow through and dip it out with a net?

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
Most of us here do not replace aquaclear foam filters on any regular basis at all. We squeeze them out and rinse them in a bucket of tank water and reuse it. Many people use that sponge for several years. . . .

The only disposable media I use is hypoallergenic polyester quilt batting that costs just pennies to cut a double layer to fit on top of my sponge. If you don't want to buy filter media from the sewing section of Wal-Mart, most fish stores sell the same stuff as "filter floss" for a higher price (but even that is incredibly cheap compared to replacement cartridge filters)

I still have the original carbon bag from my aquaclear just sitting there in case I ever have some reason to try to remove toxins or medications from the water.

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
Sounds great. As soon as this month is up, I'll be sure to remove them. I guess instead of using a filter cartridge, I'll buy some quilt batting from wal-mart. I think it's more than I will ever need to use for $2.00. It didn't make sense to replace the foam every 2 months. Seemed like a waste of money. Same with the biomax. Do you really need to replace it every 3 months?

Also, I should put the quilt batting where the carbon used to be? How often do you replace it?

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
I usually just blast my penguin cartridges clean with some high pressure tap water weekly. No worry about damaging my biological filter since the biowheel takes care of that. The only time I run carbon is when I need to remove medications or some other specialty purposes such as new fish or insurance. Whenever I add new fish to the tank (after QT of course), I sometimes like to add fresh carbon to the filter to ultra polish the water. This ultra polished water helps the new fish adjust to the tank after the stress of moving and also by reducing organics, decreases the workload on the biofilter allowing it to cope with higher fishload. The insurance reason is rather simple. You can't always watch every guest during a social gathering so the carbon takes care of any mishaps that might occur with your guests and the fish tank.

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
Sounds good rrkss. By blasting the penguin cartridge though.. is the carbon still active? Or can it leach toxins into the water? I thought about trying to find a way to remove the carbon and just have the cartridge for mechanical filtration, but I couldn't figure out a way. I figured this was why the quilt batting was so good. What do you think? Could you cut a hole and take the carbon out? Then just run the cartridge to catch debris and nothing else?

I'm really happy to know that I don't have to have carbon. I have 5 extra filter cartridges for my 250gph and the penguin, just in case. Like you said, good insurance when adding new fish until my bio filter can catch up. Plus I have 3 extra carbon bags for my aquaclear. I think I am just going to put an extra bag of biomax in there. How often do you think I need to change that? I mean it harbors bacteria, right? It should degrade to the point of replacing in less than a year, right?

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
I've been getting there magazine for quite some time now. I knew they had the 3 stage filter cartridge for the penguin filter, but if I could get away with a carbonless filter cartridge that I just rinse and reuse, then I'd much rather go that route. The only place that I have ordered from online is Petsolutions.com and I must say I am extremely pleased with the service. It got to me in 2 days and I paid for just the standard shipping. 10 bucks on a 130 dollar order. I bought the aquaclear 70 for 20 something dollars, a strip light for 60, a glass cover that doesn't fit, lol, for 23 bucks, and all the extras for my aquaclear for around 10 dollars, a skimmer for 10 bucks, and then last but not least my sponge filter for a 40 gallon for 5 bucks. All in all not bad prices and definitely quick shipping. Drsfostersmith.com usually has higher prices on equipment, but lower prices when it comes to fish and food and other supplies. Thanks for recommending them. I know I like their specials alot, and I certainly get alot of good ideas out of their magazine.

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Carbon leaching out the toxins in aquarium conditions is a myth. Carbon will only release the stuff it took up under an extreme in pH and temperature. I doubt anybody keeps their tank at 2000 degrees with a pH of 12. I also don't think anybody has their tank in an oxygen free environment. Anything absorbed by the carbon will stay in the carbon under normal conditions. This allows you to change the carbon whenever you want fresh carbon without worry. I don't open up my penguin cartridges to remove the carbon just blast it clean without any worries.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
The problem with the carbon is it looses it's effectiveness after a couple of weeks, so if you think you are benifiting from it...you really arent.
Except as a media for biologic filtration, and there is better around. You're not hurting anything...just spending $ you don't need to.

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
You know how much I love spending money that I don't have too haha! I dread buying those filter cartridges. I'm so happy now knowing I don't have to. I guess i'll just leave the carbon cartridge in there and let me it build up bacteria. From what I've read, it won't release the toxins. I'll just blast it like you guys have said with hot water, or lukewarm to preserve the bacteria. Thanks again for all the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store