Do you use almond leaves ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Hey gang. I've been reading some on the benefits of using almond leaves in aquariums. I'm just curious as to how youse guys and girls feel about them ? Any personal experiences , good or bad ? Thanx for any info.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I don't use them, but wouldn't rule them out. My water is already super soft so I have no real need for extra tannins.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I don't currently but would love to. I use seasoned oak leaves now in some of my invert tanks. They leach lovely tannins and provide a place for the shrimp to graze. I use them on top of the substrate. They seem to last a month or two before they disintegrate and need to be replaced. Here is alink to an article about their use written by Lupin: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132234

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I read Lupins article a while back. Even put oak leaves in my invert tank, too.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I've resorted to diluting my tap 50/50 with R/O. Even a 20-30lb piece of driftwood in my 80gal couldnt dent my waters KH, which is about 220ppm out of the tap.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I use local leaves, not almond, for some tannins and nutrients. Doesn't do much to my hardness, but you could chip your teeth on the water here.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
I haven't used almond leaves, but am very intrigued by it.

After throwing a few leaves into my shrimp tank, they immediately got attention and now are the shrimp's main "hang out".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store