Does 2.5 - 2.7 wpg tank need co2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dj baldwin

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
Los Angeles
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking of upgrading my lighting system from 1 wpg to about 2.5-2.7 wpg. My question is, do i need to add co2 to my tank? I have anacharis, java ferns (exploding like crazy) and anubias (growing at normal rate). Can I get away with just adding fertilizers?

Thank you in advanced.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Yes, you probably can but I would suggest that you also increase your plant mass and start with as low a dosing of nutrients as you can get away with initially. See how the plants respond and adjust dosages accordingly.
Without knowing the tank size, fish, plant mass and other parameters it's difficult to advise as to correct dosages.
It's a matter of balance. When you change/increase one parameter, generally it is best to adjust the others accordingly.

Len

dj baldwin

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
Los Angeles

Len thanks for the reply. Here is some more tank info. I have a 40 gal. breeder, 6 red eye tetras, 6 penguin tetras, 3 otos and 3 pepper cories.

I have a pretty decent amount of java fern. Two small bunches of anubias. Overall, not much plants. How much dosage should i start with for a 40? I am planning to buy more plants but I would like to know more about any possible alternatives to co2 injection. Any plan recomendations for a 2.5 wpg tank?

Finally, at 2.5 wpg, does that put me in the medium range?

Thanks

Last edited:

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Hey DJ, be careful as I had about the equivelent of 3wpg with no CO2. Algae rampaged. Now I am at 1wpg and everything is sweet......

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
2.5 wpg does not put you in the 'high' light category, IMO. But you are pushing the envelop.
The danger here is not knowing what you've got in the tank with regard to elements.
Do you know how much N and P, if any are supplied out of your tap?
You see at 1wpg it didn't matter. At 2.5 it does. At 3 it's beginning to get critical.
Increasing light narrows the window of control unless you balance it with more plants.
I'd be more interested in filling the tank with plants or at least dramatically increasing your plant load. Algae won't grow if it has no excess nutrients to feed off of.
You keep plants that are not by any standard considered nutrient users unless you have a lot of anachris. Even the little bit that your fish are giving off can throw things out of whack without more plants to use them under that lighting.
I would do this. Find out what your N and P levels are in the tank and out of the tap before buying extra nutrients. You may not need to dose one or either of them.
I would buy some more anachris and float it. Water Sprite is great for shade and using nutrients. Get some stem plants for planting in the substrate, and get them established.
If you do this aggressively it is my opinion that no you don't need to inject CO2.
How much extra nutrient dosing will be required can't be known until you find out what's in the tank now.
If you add the lighting you plan on and add extra nutrients, I can almost guarantee you algae issues.

Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store