Does my new anacharis and amazon sword need fertilizer or anything?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ewurm

LOACH HORDE!
Oct 29, 2006
MN
$eaba$$ said:
Whats a pottassium and iron supplement? Like what brand and how do I put it in the water?
I use Kent Feshwater Plant. The dosage per gallon is on the bottle. I just dump it in the tank at the filter output to disperse it.

CoreyMac

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
Greer, SC
I have had some very good luck with cabomba. Supposedly the stuff needs high light, but at 1 WPG the stuff went nuts in my tank. I finally took the stuff out. I was tired of having to trim it back every 2 days.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Ok, Thanks!

So, no one answerd this yet, but if I have another like reading light on the outsie of the tank next to the tank and pointing right towards the sword, will that help it to have enough lighting. I believe it is a 20 watt reading lamp. Just by looking, it looks like it brings quite a bit more light. Will this work also?

ewurm

LOACH HORDE!
Oct 29, 2006
MN
You seriously don't need that much light to grow a sword. I have never had more than 1w per gallon, and mine are huge/out of control.

John N.

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
California
$eaba$$ said:
So, no one answerd this yet, but if I have another like reading light on the outsie of the tank next to the tank and pointing right towards the sword, will that help it to have enough lighting. I believe it is a 20 watt reading lamp. Just by looking, it looks like it brings quite a bit more light. Will this work also?
This may work. Be sure to get a compact flourscent bulb such as a Lights of America Brand 20 watt bulb from Walmart's Lighting section. Regular household incandescent bulbs are more heat then actually directed, usable light.

You may find that it will grow oddly since the light source is next to it instead of directly above it. Swords and most other plants look and grow lusher with more light. If your goal is to have a lush planted aquarium with capabilities to grow all types of plants, I suggest you look into that Coralife 65 watt fixture upgrade from your 15 watt light. You'll be pleasantly please with the growth and color of your plants.

In terms of fertilizer additions, Seachem Flourish Products are good, see drsfostersmith.com. A cheaper alternive to Seachem's line is gregwatson.com dry fertilizers. As you increase the lighting, you will need these ferts as well as some CO2.

More light = higher plant metabolism = more nutrient needs. End result: Better plant growth in most cases.

-John N.

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Again.

I'm going to float a few anacharis, is this possible? If I do, do I need to do anything special? I just want them to grow faster, and since my 20 high only has 15 watts not, I think it will grow faster. I just want a few branches to grow big and fast so I can take and clip some off to put in my 2.5 gallon. Anything special needed to be done?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
K.

Thanks, I just want to make sure that they stay in the lighted area. Like in my tank, the front and corners dont get as much light, since there isn't really a reflector, and since the light fixture is on the hood...

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
My amazon swords grew well even when some of my lights died and I was only running 1.45 watts per gallon. For that whole month they showed good growth. My full lighting in that tank (55g) is still only 2.5wpg and the swords sprout new leaves every few days. I even had one of the amazon put forth a runner that yielded four new plants.

You should see my narrow leaf chain swords - I started wtith four plants last month and now from runners I have eleven plants.

I have had and heard from other people that anacharis grows perfectly well in even 1.5wpg.

So I would say that to keep either plant, just make sure you have at least 1.5wpg. At least that is what I have been able to maintain for the past year or so. Thus I can say with confidence that it's quite possible.

To fertilize the swords, the flourish root tabs are miraculous. I added them just last week and the growth and beauty of the plants have increased quite noticeably.

For the anacharis, liquid ferts are best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store