Does Petsmart do water tests?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
my local petsmart does but they use strip testing.

amazingly i watched a customer come in with a high ammonia and nitrite in their tank..

gues what..they didn't tell them to do a water change but tried to sell ammonia removers :thud:

I bit my tongue..then watched another sales person sell a cannister filter and a bunch of different media for the customer to use to help them cycle the tank :shark:

amyandlars

AC Members
Sep 18, 2006
That's what happened to me to. If you go in with low PH they sell you PH increasers. I do alot of tongue bitting in Petsmart. Someone was looking for a filter to keep their aquarium clean, i.e. no w/c's.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Um, so the guy came in with high ammonia and walked out with a cannister filter, chemicals, and media? Where was he when I used to sell cars? Anyways yes petsmart does water tests as others are stating. The bad side of it is that they are essentially told to sell products that many times aren't really needed based on what the water tests indicate.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
If you've got one of their store cards, they do tests for free. I seem to remember that some of the results aren't in a standard format- maybe the pH was on a scale from 1-100 rather than the standard ( 7.0, etc ) ?

karna68

Go Bucks!
Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Petland also does them for free and they do a liquid test. I was pleasantly suprised.

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Petco tests using strips -- they will pull out the drops if you don't believe a result. They always tell me my ph is off the charts and I always come up with 6.6-7.0.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store