does tetra easy balance really reduce nitrates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tarquin375

thats no moon, it's a space station
Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
If you want to throw your money away, then by all means, buy it. It's a marketing gimmick that targets the inexperienced, lazy, or time-constrained aquarists looking for a quick-fix, magic in a bottle, all-in-1 product. Albeit, a mediocre one. Water changes and live plants are the way to go.
Wow.

tarquin375

Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
I DO WATER CHANGES!!!!....as stated in a post earlier in this thread........it amazes me how those of you who don't use a product can state how well it does or doesn't work. I use this product(see earlier post), therefore, according to this thread, I am either inexperienced (in the hobby for 7 years), lazy (I am physically disabled,shouldn't I be offended by being called this?) or time constrained (I am physically disabled, plenty of time on my hands). Also, because I use this product I should re-evaluate being in the hobby.......man.........this forum is just over-flowing with helpful, unbiased, friendly advice......I would reccomend to all readers of this forum, unless the chemical you are using is the almighty Prime, don't mention it!!!!!! You will be told you are wasting your money and time and shouldn't be in the hobby.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
lol..no one called 'you' lazy, inexperienced or time-constrained. Please read my post more carefully. My post is regarding it's claim to reduce water changes/nitrates, not the pH regulating capabilities of the product. Even with that, I'd recommend leaving the pH alone unless it's at either end of the extreme. If so, there are cheaper and more reliable ways to stabilize pH. Happy to help.

Last edited:

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
i have two words for your cousin and you

SEACHEM PRIME

it is the only thing i use for my wc has never failed me

when i look at the yeild to cost ratios in comparison seachem wins hands down

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
omg ok i just read up on the stuff...

Eliminates frequent water changes. Keeps aquarium water biologically balanced for 6 months. Stabilizes pH and alkalinity. (KH) levels for fish and plants. Reduces phosphate levels for improved water quality. Also adds vitamins and trace elements. Use 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons weekly. Freshwater use only

HELL NO lol.
now look at the cost of this stuff 1 teaspoon for 5 g weekly yikes :eek3:

i have over 1200g of active water with much more to come not only would that be killer expensive but dang my water would stink to high heaven

tarquin375

Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
lol..no one called 'you' lazy, inexperienced or time-constrained. Please read my post more carefully. My post is regarding it's claim to reduce water changes/nitrates, not the pH regulating capabilities of the product. Even with that, I'd recommend leaving the pH alone unless it's at either end of the extreme. If so, there are cheaper and more reliable ways to stabilize pH. Happy to help.
I realize no personal direction was meant with the post........I must admit I was venting...slightly.....sometimes its frustrating to see everything ssooo one sided.......sorry folks.

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
Wow, this thread is getting edgy. FYI, "Nitraban" is a marketable way of saying formaldehyde. It's the active ingredient. Formaldehyde breaks nitrates down to nitric acid, which in turn lowers your pH. This makes all your tests look normal so it would appear you don't need to do a water change. That's bad because after awhile the KH will go down to zero and the pH will crash, killing your good bacteria and then your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store