Dosing API General Cure with Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

redstart

AC Members
Jun 16, 2016
To make a long story short, I have 60 gallon tank that had a recent ICH outbreak. The ich is gone but a couple of the fish developed fin rot and my blue Dwarf Gourami became less active, frequent lays on his side on the bottom, and has long thin white/clear stool. He has no other sign of illness and is still eating, just not with the same vigor. I suspect he has internal parasites as his stool was looking like this before the ich, but perhaps the ich infestation weakened him (although I never saw ich on him).

I did some water changes and treated with an extremely low does of Melafix and Pimafix. The fin rot has cleared up on the other fish, but my DG did not improved (but also has not gotten worse).

I did another water change today and put carbon in to clear out the medication. I got some New Life Spectrum Thera A and will start feeding it today, and would like to spot treat the DG with medicated food as my other fish are acting fine and I don't want to treat the whole tank. (Quarantine is not an option - I have a new angelfish occupying that tank). The only anti-parasite medication I could find locally was API General Cure. From reading online it sounds like I can soak his food in it, but directions are not clear on dosage etc.. I know to soak the food in tank water and the medication for at least 15 minutes, but I am not sure how much powder to use. Also, do I feed him the medicated food for every meal (I feed them twice a day) and for how many days?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've never used anti-parasite meds by soaking food so I did some research and found instructions on API's website:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumPharmaceuticalsAPI.html

They recommend soaking the food but also dosing the rest of the packet into the tank. They recommend soaking food in a half a packet of medicine for every 60 gallons of fish. Since, you are supposed to medicate for 48 hours, I would suggest soaking at every feeding for 48 hours.

However, from experience I wouldn't suggest soaking food (I've used prepackaged anti-parasite pellets). Fish don't tend to eat the medicated food. Also, it's highly likely that if one fish is infected they all are. Since it is only a 48 hour dose, it would be good to treat the whole tank. Not just for the reason that the other fish are likely infected, but that any eggs that have been expelled by the infected fish will be killed by the anthelmintic in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store