Dosing tank w/erythromycin - Should I save the snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
i agree with jinkz, i saved some mts just in case treating with both forms of maraycyn and neither actually killed them off. As a note though, mts are great for a planted tank and you wont get over populated if you have a predator for them lol.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I doubt MTS will be effected by using the antibiotic, more sensitive snails like nerites or apple snails would be at risk.
:iagree:

erythromycin shouldn't have any effect on MTS, since it is an antibacterial medication. antiparastitic meds are another story though.
There are meds that do affect some species but as MTS have trapdoors to save themselves from the toxins, I doubt some MTS will die. Some might die, some probably won't. Just check the water parameters afterwards to make sure the ammonia and nitrite don't kill the fish.

dnali

AC Members
Jan 22, 2008
DC area
Yea... I'm ok with them, they're quick breeders but they certainly don't do any harm. By and large they seem to be doing fine so far. On the bright side this whole algae thing has me doing regular water changes instead of slacking.

Maybe I should invest in a couple of loaches. If only I had a larger tank!

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
denali, i can say for sure half doses of maracyn in 4 days wiped out my BGA.. i cant say for sure but i did lose several fish and my nerite snails and some other type cant remember the name right off.... still trying to get this tank to clear

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I basically "chemo'd" one of my tanks for several weeks, alternating with several meds, including E-mycin (the reason and logic is unimportant now). Didn't appear to lose any MTS though.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
A few observations.

-One or two doses of EM should be more than enough to waste bga. Full strength of course. A full 5 day treatment isnt needed.

-Killing bga creates ammonia. The best approach is to syphon out as much as possible before dosing the EM. I bet ammonia can kill snails.

-Dosing EM can kill off some of the good bacteria. This could produce ammonia.

-If EM killed snails, this would be a widely known fact since more than a few folks are looking for a reliable and pretty safe way of eliminating them.

dnali

AC Members
Jan 22, 2008
DC area
Amin, that's a good point on the (double) potential ammonia spike. That would account for the anecdotal support for the Maracyn killing MTS and the absolute lack of explanation for their deaths.

Mine seem to be fine. I think I'll step up the dosage tomorrow and try to seal the deal on the BGA. Spent a solid 2 hours today scraping as much of the algae as possible off of the driftwood and cleaning the glass - except for the corner of the tank that contains my spawning (now free-swimming) kribs. Meaning that there is a significant amount of algae still in the tank, but that's pretty easily remedied now that the parents and fry are becoming mobile and traveling the tank in search of food.

Fingers crossed...

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Don't forget to do a big wc as soon as you see the stuff die off,
Oh yeah, run some fresh carbon too :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store