Double Trunk Elephant Nose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
That article said that they don't get along with knifefish.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
The people at aqualand aren't really experienced at long term mormyrid and knifefish care so I am taking their article with a grain of salt. On MFK they told me when they don't get a long they chase eachother so if there were problems I could break it up.

When I had my FW baby whale it died after like 4 months. I read on some sites that you should not put more than one in a tank because of electronavigational problems, but then I read that they all have their own frequency and should be in groups. I think it would have been much happier in a group looking back on it.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Well that sucks because I really want one and there's no way I can get a tank big enough to house a whole group of those guys!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Well that sucks because I really want one and there's no way I can get a tank big enough to house a whole group of those guys!
If you are talking about the FW baby whale, they stay around 3 1/2" so a 40br or a 75 would be big enough for a small group IMO. Mine always seemed real nervous by himself.

Elephant noses though seem a lot calmer on their own.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I was talking about the elephant nose actually. The baby whales are okay but the elephant noses are cuter!

Are elephant noses part of the "dolphin fish group"?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store