Dwarf Gourami overactive/aggressive?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mvirata

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Philly, PA
www.myspace.com
Yeah, it's normal behavior. I had a sick honey gourami that I had to remove and treat for a few weeks in a hospital tank. When I put him back I got to see some gourami sparring techinques. Pretty fascinating. Fins flared out, they faced off with each other for a little bit, tapping each other with those little feeler fins. Then they lined up side by side, facing opposite directions, and did the bend in half maneuver. They formed a gourami wheel and spun in a circle like this for a few seconds. Then they broke off and chased each other for a few seconds. That's when the head standing began. They actually did it both ways; sometimes with the head pointing up, others pointing down. Then, they repeated the whole dance again. This only lasted a few hours and they soon forgot all about it. I imagine the same thing will happen with your dwarf gourami. He should calm down, eventually.

Actually, during the height of all this drama, one of the honey gouramis decided it might be a good idea to tangle with my angel (He's about 4 times the gourami's size). So, he raced straight at him, got right in his face and put out his feelers. Then, not a half second after he got in his face, he came to his senses, staring at the angel almost as if he was thinking, "Uh oh........what the hell did I just do?" He quickly clamped all of his fins right up against his body and just kind of slowly backed off and went about doing something else. The angel just looked at him as if to say, "You got a problem, little man?" Funniest thing I've ever seen with fish.
lol funny story! i can picture the whole thing...

NikkiLamb

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2023
So my male dwarf gourami was doing all the exact same behavior, swimming back and forth , FAST, constantly trying to warn off his reflection I came to realize lol. I cut the light to the tank off today and h÷ has been acting like a normal fish now, as well as all his tankmates coming out of hiding. Which I assumed was bc his erratic behavior. First time tank owner here. We had a 5 gallon with a betta and tetras and upgrade to a 29 gallon now so I'm still new to this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store