Dwarf Gourami... Swim Bladder disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phi_betta_kappa

The Graduate
Mar 1, 2009
Southwest Virginia
Update:
When I turn out the tank light the dwarf gourami loses his balance- starts to list to the side, finally rolling/flipping around the tank. When I turn the light back on he regains his balance and can swim normally- occasionally he spasms but it's just for a second and then he returns to upright.

This morning he was laying on his side before I turned the light on- I thought for sure he was dead. I turned on the light and he returned to normal position. He seems to have lost visual depth perception- he tries to go after a piece of food but always comes up short. At least his appetite has returned.

I am guessing that this is not swim bladder disease, constipation, bacterial infx, or parasitic infx. His color is beautiful, all fins erect and intact, no cloudiness of the eyes or evidence of external trauma or infection. The only conclusion I can come to is that there is some sort of neurological dysfunction. I have never seen this before in fish.

I guess the only thing to do is continue to watch him. I am concerned that he may not be able to eat enough to sustain himself. I hope I can get him to eat. I would rather euthanize than let him starve to death though. I have clove oil if it comes to that but I really hope he can make recovery.

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
Update:
When I turn out the tank light the dwarf gourami loses his balance- starts to list to the side, finally rolling/flipping around the tank. When I turn the light back on he regains his balance and can swim normally- occasionally he spasms but it's just for a second and then he returns to upright.

This morning he was laying on his side before I turned the light on- I thought for sure he was dead. I turned on the light and he returned to normal position. He seems to have lost visual depth perception- he tries to go after a piece of food but always comes up short. At least his appetite has returned.

I am guessing that this is not swim bladder disease, constipation, bacterial infx, or parasitic infx. His color is beautiful, all fins erect and intact, no cloudiness of the eyes or evidence of external trauma or infection. The only conclusion I can come to is that there is some sort of neurological dysfunction. I have never seen this before in fish.

I guess the only thing to do is continue to watch him. I am concerned that he may not be able to eat enough to sustain himself. I hope I can get him to eat. I would rather euthanize than let him starve to death though. I have clove oil if it comes to that but I really hope he can make recovery.
I wouldn't count him out just yet. Yes, to me it also sounds neuro almost like if a person with epilepsy looks at a strobe light and it sends them into a seizure. I would keep a close eye on him though and if he starts to get thin consider the clove oil. For now, try a mix of foods you know he enjoys. Does he eat live foods? My blue gourami recently found a new love for food he eats shrimp! Brine shrimp, ghost shrimp. And he also likes freeze dried worms. Maybe try some of your gouramis favorite foods, or possibly...can you hand feed? I wish you all the best!

phi_betta_kappa

The Graduate
Mar 1, 2009
Southwest Virginia
For now, try a mix of foods you know he enjoys. Does he eat live foods? My blue gourami recently found a new love for food he eats shrimp! Brine shrimp, ghost shrimp. And he also likes freeze dried worms. Maybe try some of your gouramis favorite foods, or possibly...can you hand feed? I wish you all the best!
Thank you... I just got some brine shrimp eggs... I'll try hatching some of those. Lol- he lives with a whisker shrimp.

Do you think it might be best to put him in a small hospital tank for recovery? Then there would be no competition for the food. He really loves his sinking pellets but he can't seem to get a fix on them. He bites about 1/8- 1/4" short of where the food is. I feel sorry for the guy. His little GF even seems to be concerned- she keeps checking him out. Before all this they literally ignored each other. LOL- look at me the fish psychologist.

Reactions: Stefanie O'Dell

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
Thank you... I just got some brine shrimp eggs... I'll try hatching some of those. Lol- he lives with a whisker shrimp.

Do you think it might be best to put him in a small hospital tank for recovery? Then there would be no competition for the food. He really loves his sinking pellets but he can't seem to get a fix on them. He bites about 1/8- 1/4" short of where the food is. I feel sorry for the guy. His little GF even seems to be concerned- she keeps checking him out. Before all this they literally ignored each other. LOL- look at me the fish psychologist.
Eh, I try to analyze what is going on with my fish too and make assumptions. Thankfully I don't keep too many fish as they seem to really stress me out when one gets sick or dies. I kid you not. :headshake2:

If you feel his condition is that bad off maybe QT him, but I am no expert. I think that it might stress him further. IMHO if he is not showing signs of disease, parasite, infection etc that could be passed onto your other fish then leave him be. But if you feel he would have a better chance of recovery and food source then why not? I guess if you are considering clove oil, it couldn't hurt. As long as it's properly cycled and you add some established media from his existing tank I am sure he would be ok. Again I wish you the best, I hate to hear when a fish is sick or have to deal with it first hand. :(

phi_betta_kappa

The Graduate
Mar 1, 2009
Southwest Virginia
Thanks again... I REALLY do appreciate having someone to talk to about this. My fish are my children (don't tell the cat) and it stresses me to see them suffer.
I think I'll leave him in his home for now. If he doesn't improve or can't get enough food I'll move him.
The clove oil would be only if he gets beyond help. I think euthanasia is a last resort.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
I had a glow light tetra start doing similiar things this morning, but I felt like he was simply getting too week to fight the current. I moved him into my qt, which has much less current, and will see how he's doing when I get home... for the couple min I could watch him this morning, he was still swimming sporatically...

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Neurological disorders aren't unheard of in fish. They can be caused by tumours pressing on the brain, just as in humans. The prognosis without surgery (not really an option with fish) is alas no better than it is with humans. There are some little understood viral conditions which can do similar things as well.

phi_betta_kappa

The Graduate
Mar 1, 2009
Southwest Virginia
Neurological disorders aren't unheard of in fish. They can be caused by tumours pressing on the brain, just as in humans. The prognosis without surgery (not really an option with fish) is alas no better than it is with humans. There are some little understood viral conditions which can do similar things as well.
From what I understand about the current breeding practices of dwarf gourami suppliers I shouldn't really be surprised. I "rescued" this little guy from walmart. He looked to be in good shape at the time but who knows where he came from or what conditions he was raised in? He's probably terribly inbred and carrying who-knows-what kind of genetic time-bombs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store