Dwarf Sag or Pygmy Chain Sword?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
Okay, I feel goofy asking this...

This weekend I was pulling out some plants from my 20 gallon at home to bring back to school to put in my 10 gallon here. I pulled out some pygmy chain sword, and I pulled out some dwarf sagittaria, or so I thought.

Neither of these plants have taken off for me in my 20 gallon, and I was hoping I could get them to grow nicely in my 10 gallon that has better light. One of them (I assumed it was the dwarf sag) has been doing better in the 20 recently and was sending out runners. It was some of the runners that I pulled out, as well as a few other pieces.

I am 90% sure I have some of both in my 10 gallon tank now, but after planting them and looking at them, I can't tell for sure if the runners are dwarf sag or chain sword! How do you tell the difference?

I'll try to get some pictures, but all I've got at school is my phone's camera, so no guarantee the pics will help.

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
Right, pics. Somehow forgot about that.

What I know is dwarf sag:

Pygmy chain sword:

The little plants in question:

Ranger

AC Members
Jun 20, 2001
Everett, WA
Yea, looks like dwarf sag. I’ve found mine to be heavy root feeders, seemed to do better with substrate ferts then in water column, except for K, they seem to need that in the water.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
All three pictures are sag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store