dying african dwarf frog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
the high nitrites could be the culprit as well. did you do a water change? nitrite poisoning will cause similar symptoms. I would deal with your nitrites first and foremost.

If its chytrid, i don't think there is a readily available treatment.

matt2k2max

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
Okay thank you for your help I am going to do a 20 to 30% water change tonight so hopefully i can get my nitrites under control... But thanks again for all your help!

matt2k2max

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
I got my nitrites under control and lost another frog last night under the same circumstances as the other frog.. I am starting to think that it is the disease chytrid like said earlier in the thread.

I have one frog left, if he dies the same way should I just wait a few weeks and water changes and go to a different place to get frogs or what should i do? Any ideas would be great! Thanks in advance :bowing:

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
I think Jinkz is right. I have 2 in a 55 gallon with congo tetra and a few rope fish and a butterfly fish (african) and a spotted perch. (frogs are to large to be eaten). I tried keeping some once before in a 5 gallon and had problems as well. I've had mine now for a year. (shrug)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
well, if the last one doesn't die and you plan to get more, I would qt any new frogs for at least a month to make sure they are free from illness before adding them to your established tank. If the current frog dies, I would wait at least a month until you get a new one. It seems to be hit or miss with adf's lately. I would recommend going to the store where you plan to purchase them and observing the tank for a couple of weeks before you buy more. If you see any that are having symptoms similar to what you have observed, don't buy from that store. If you buy from the same store (and this is assuming your frogs had chytrid) and they restocked without waiting/sanitizing the tank, any new frogs they put into their display tank will be exposed and theoretically could get sick or transfer the illness. I would probably get them from another store after an observation period and then still qt.

aquaobsessed

Registered Member
Feb 26, 2008
chytrid treatment for african dwarf frogs

Hey! I have two african dwarf frogs and I love them to death. I have one named "Froggie" ( I know.. how original ;) ) who I have had for about a year and over Christmas I bought three more because I felt he would like to have a family. The three frogs seemed fine at first but after a few weeks they developed all the signs of chytrid infection( this fungus has an incubation period). Two of my frogs died, however I was able to save Froggie and one of the others. Believe it or not there is a treatment for Chytrid infection that I found online. I have been treating my frogs in baths of Benzalkonium Chloride at a 50% dilution. So far everything has been great. The website with the details of the treatment is
http://www.flippersandfins.net/chytridBCtreatment.htm

Here is a website with important details on Chytrid infection in african dwarf frogs.
http://www.flippersandfins.net/chytridiomycosis.htm
I would recommend reading this first and then looking at the treatment website. Also, the Benzalkonium chloride I bought online was at fishyfarmacy.com.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your froggies.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I have a new 5 gallon tank (set up about 6 weeks ago). We have 2 ADFs and three male guppies in it. So far so good.

After having gotten it cycled, I do weekly water chemistry checks and weekly water changes. I just went 10 days without a pwc and had nitrates at 12.5 (Tetra liquid test kits). That's the highest it's been since the cycle completed. I know it's a new tank and hasn't been set up long but so far, we've had good luck with the ADFs in the 5 gal.

Thanks for the info on Chytrid infection. It's good to know these things!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store