Dying Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
I've kept amano shimp for years, and as RTR has said they can live for 1-2 years sometimes longer but very rare. Jmo but the problem I have had with them is that they are very sensitive to changes in the water. Especialy when I moved them into another tank. What I did to fix this problem was to very, very , very slowly acclimatize them over a period of about 4-8 hours.This way when i moved them or bought new ones i have been able to minimize losses.

kevhodge

AC Members
Feb 9, 2005
leicester UK
i don't belive it!

:duh: two amino shrimp were definitly acting strange, one did die, one was still active, but laying down, suddenly spurting into life. then the two live ones disserpeared overnight :look: two days later, after i last posted, there are two shrimp cleaning each other on top of the heater! they must have hidden for some time as i searched the tank for ages! thanks for your replys, sorry to waste anybodys time. the next time i post will be for a serious problem or question. thanks. kev.

Ripples

Mad fish lady
Feb 14, 2005
London UK
I'm frequently convinced that I've lost my Amanos - they're such nifty hiders and their habit of leaving shed skeletons around kills me everytime. Last time I was convined that my Plecs or Loaches had augmented their diet with a bit of prawn cocktail I spoke to my LFS about it - they said the only water parameter they really watch out for is copper. So if you've put any kind of snail killer in there - or have copper pipes - you may want to look at either doing some quick water changes with non coppery water, or finding an alternative source.

The non-expert but experienced shrimp panicker
R

foopooh

Freshwater 29 gal, 10 gal & betta
Feb 11, 2005
www.clan4u2.com
I had a beautiful bamboo/wood shrimp... it's not a small shrimp at all... prolly equal to about 3 amanos. Anyway, for about a month I had very rarely noticed any of my fish even come close to "prey" at it or treat it as potential food. One evening I come home from work and I took a look at my tank I notice things are ok... I even see the bamboo shrimp fanning and scavenging on the bottom... I sit down for dinner and get up to take another look at my tank, and gasped... the bamboo shrimp was in half and my 3 Rosey Barbs were picking away at his fresh meat!!! I dunno what happened here besides what seems to be the obvious... did my Rosey barbs suddenly decide to pick at him? I can't say fer sure... or since this was days after a molt... perhaps they figured out his shell was soft and vulnerable and then decided they had an easy meal?

Since them I added 2 Amano Shrimp (can u tell I luv shrimp!)... same thing happened to 1 and I hope they don't pick at the one left... man, that's expensive fish food at nearly $4 per amano and I think I spent around $6-$7 on the bamboo shrimp.

So I think we must accept the fact that all types of shrimp are on the lower end of the food chain for any of our fish.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I'm not convinced that the average lifespan is over two years, but some few do live much longer. All the real Methuselahs have strangely enough been old females.

The issue with moving tank-to-tank is one that I have not hit. I tend to catch and dump, but the water in all my tanks is quite similar.

I use iodide routinely in shrimp-containing tanks. Historically I had too many problems with molt death, especially with Macrobrachium shrimp. Since I started supplementing iodide I have had almost none. All JIME, YMMV.

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
foopooh said:
So I think we must accept the fact that all types of shrimp are on the lower end of the food chain for any of our fish.
Large Macrobrachium spp. can easily turn the tables on many opportunistic predators of smaller shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store