Easy Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's great! Lots of hiding & grazing place for shrimp. Keep looking, little shrimplets can be had to see until they color up. What kind of shrimp?

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Once I get the water right I was looking at the mini Java fern and Anubias Petite. I was thinking I would just find some small flat rocks to glue them too. What kind of glue and how much do you use?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Leave those in for about 2-4 weeks and it should help seed a good cycle

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I call them pond snails, some call them bladder snails. I think there are several similar 1s. A few are ok to me, many people hate all snails. You can pick it out. If your tank was a bit more cycled you can squish them (depending on the sensitivity of your son). The shrimp would eat the squishy parts but not the shell. Watch for little clear jelly-like egg masses & scrape them off & out using a fingernail & small siphon if you can't grab it. The eggs can be anywhere...

For attaching plants you can use super glue GEL or sewing thread. Sometimes I just wedge anubias or java fern roots between a couple rocks. They eventually attach.

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Ok so I have these readings 2 days in a row. I am out of town the next 3 days so I was going to leave 1 rock in. Or should I leave both? I have mineral junkie food I will crumble up for them while I am gone. Then do you think I am good to add a few more shrimp?

IMG_1068.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The tank is only 2 gallons. You've seen at least 4 shrimp but there could be more.

Those test # look good! I think I'd just let it ride for now...especially if you have to travel often. I know I've mentioned that mixing different color shrimp can cause them to eventually turn out brown & boring. But if you have M & F shrimp you might get eggs & then shrimplets...& more shrimp of that pretty blue.

Have you seen both dark blue females & almost clear but slightly blue males? I'd wait to do anything major & enjoy the shrimp show.

Depending on the shrimp & their reproduction, you might be able to sell some shrimp after a while. Another learning opportunity for your son. Back in the olden days red cherrys went for $0.50-$1.00 per shrimp. Blue Dreams should go for more. If you get shrimplets, ask your local shop if they'd buy them, for how much & at what size? Cash or trade? You can also look at things like Nextdoor or FB Marketplace selling options. (be careful of creepy people online...they may be in Kansas too).

I'm less mercenary these days, I like to give plants, etc. for free to friends or club members, maybe strangers in a careful setting.

Reactions: railer20

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
The tank is only 2 gallons. You've seen at least 4 shrimp but there could be more.

Those test # look good! I think I'd just let it ride for now...especially if you have to travel often. I know I've mentioned that mixing different color shrimp can cause them to eventually turn out brown & boring. But if you have M & F shrimp you might get eggs & then shrimplets...& more shrimp of that pretty blue.

Have you seen both dark blue females & almost clear but slightly blue males? I'd wait to do anything major & enjoy the shrimp show.

Depending on the shrimp & their reproduction, you might be able to sell some shrimp after a while. Another learning opportunity for your son. Back in the olden days red cherrys went for $0.50-$1.00 per shrimp. Blue Dreams should go for more. If you get shrimplets, ask your local shop if they'd buy them, for how much & at what size? Cash or trade? You can also look at things like Nextdoor or FB Marketplace selling options. (be careful of creepy people online...they may be in Kansas too).

I'm less mercenary these days, I like to give plants, etc. for free to friends or club members, maybe strangers in a careful setting.
Can I take the rocks out now do you think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store