Ebo-jager users, read

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
I was looking at another fish board, and came across a thread about ebo-jager heaters. All of the people that replied in the thread had problems with their heater, and I just got mine the other day. Has anyone else had any problems with them? One person on the thread said it was the "blue top model", I assume that means the model with the blue adjuster, which is what I have. The thread can be found here http://pub80.ezboard.com/fthesydneycichlidpageforumsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=6434.topic

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
So far (only 3 months now) no probs with a 50 and 200W "blue top" model.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I've had my 75w blue top approx 8 months now, no problem, works great. One week after a water change, I forgot to plug in my second cheapo 75w and the Ebo pulled the extra load, keeping the tank at a constant temp the whole time.

My 50w also no problem but it has a black top. Both my heaters are newer so I can't vouch for them in the long run.

I think there are always going to be duds in any product, whether it be cars, heaters or whatever. Just keep your receipt. Although one LFS did tell me he no longer carries Ebos because he had too many complaints.

spottedcatfish

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Oregon
Visit site
I've had my blue top 50W for about a month now, and I did have a slight problem, after raising the temp to treat some ick, it didn't seem to want to maintain the temperature at a new lower temp. My solution was to switch it over into my betta tank (figuring he could handle the temp swing) and let it recalibrate itself in the water unplugged for a few hours.

I did that, and now it seems to be working fine again, the temp is steady, and its responding to adjustments from the controls.

In response to the other thread about condensation, I have positioned the heater so the top of it is exposed to dry air, just for an extra precaution, I could try to exchange it, but I lost my receipt, so we'll stick with this for now.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
"...the major problem with the jagars is that when they are imported here the power cord had to be changed to work with aussie power, after the cord was replaced resealing the heater couldnt be sufficiently acheived hence the leaks and other misc faults....I know a rep down here in melb and that info came from him..."
I think this is the most important sentence it the thread. I have one on my ninety and although in the colder winter months (it's near a window) the tank would be about four degrees colder than the thermostat it would hold, I would set the thermostat at 82 degrees and the tank would stay at 78. Now it is exactly the same. I also have one on my fifty five and the thermostat and temp are exactly the same too, but it has been just under a year.

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
i've just replaced all 3 of my heaters to "blue-tops" 6 months ago with no problems. the temperature preset dial seems to be dead-on accurate, which is a pleasant surprise.

Rometiklan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Ebo-Jagers are excellent heaters. I have been using the 200 watt model (blue top) on an 80 gallon for over a year and a half, with no problems. I actually had 2 of them in there but it was overkill since the tank is in a heated room (bedroom). I highly recommend them. However, as kveeti said, there will always be duds in any mass produced product.

TTman

AC Members
May 20, 2001
I was perfectly happy w/my 1st ebo jager, a totally GREEN colored 200W unit, model LZ, I believe. it was calibrated perfectly & held temps perfectly.... then I purchased 2 250W blue top units. let's just say the calibration is about 7-8 degrees OFF. at 1st I thought they were defective, then after further testing I found that they will hold their temp, I just have to set them 7-8 degrees HIGHER. so, in a sense they ARE defective.

but I no longer purchase glass heaters, I am switching over all to titanium heaters ;-)

Last edited:

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
150W EJ

i have a 150W bluetop on a 29g, which should be more than enough for a room that averages 68 this time of year. in fact, i was thinking it was going to be too much and was planning to order a smaller heater.

anyway, i had it set at 79, but the temp was reading 72. i raised the setting to 81 and the temp was up around 75. so it seems like TTman's post about them "working" but being defective might be on track. i have now raised the heater to 83, so we'll see what happens. must just be a calibration problem, but i must admit i'm a bit worried about setting it much higher should it miraculously kick in and start working the way it's supposed to.

needless to say, i'm not impressed by the ebo, and i think i will stick with the visi-therm heaters. i have them on a couple of my other tanks, and they are very accurate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store