Eel Tank. Yep.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaOwner871

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Wow. Thank you the all that information. I will take it into great consideration. I will be moving him into a much larger tank in the coming year. I am very honest in saying this. I treat my fish like my horses. I do not like to keep my rather large warmblood horse, in a 10' x 10' stall for a week at a show. I actually buy two stalls and take out the divider. :). But you may not know what I specifically speak of, but I hope you get the picture. I am currently under pressure for the amount of tank space I have in the place I am living. My green wolf eel is 10" and eats vigorously like you stated in the above post.

OldManOfTheSea, Since you seem to have much more experience than I in eel care taking(like most people in this forum), do you know how to id the gender? I heard that color can differentiate the two in the species I have.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
In order to ID a wolf eels gender, you have to wait until it is entering its adult stages and best of all if your thoughts are to house a mating pair, you should had best waited until you required both at the same time, it is usually the best way to start. also, if you found yourself with both of the same gender, they will do battle because they are extremely territorial and never usually cause any serious harm to the other. Also, if to house other fish, these other fish would have to be considerable larger fish and be well established first.

The other thing, if your in mind to have a wolf eel nest, do know this that when and if the time comes the female is to lay her nest, you will need to remove the male from this tank, into another aquarium for the male will slowly consume the nest, polishing it off before the 14 day incubation was completed. The other thing, you have to do larger water changes for this tank as well on the weekly bases would be best.

Even thou that the female would normally wrap her body around her nest of eggs, some consider to use a breeder basket at the water's surface. Despite keeping those nests in the same tank and directing water from the filter return over them to keep them aerated, that the eggs could turn milky white and becoming infected with a fungus before they were due to hatch. The female is pinkish brown while the male is green.

Buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store