eheim 2028?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
If you already have it, use it, over-filtering an aquarium isnt a bad idea. Plus once its loaded up with media, its only gonna be moving about 200gph, which is fine in a 45gal tank.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
^^^ agreed but if you find the flow is still too strong you can always use the lever to slow flow.

jrvs23

AC Members
Dec 15, 2008
Watertown, WI
thanks. I figured it was too much. I just saw one for sale on another forum for a great price. Any recomendations on a canister filter? My 204 died a couple of months ago and I've just been using the rio that feeds my uv steralizer. I'm about to do a major overhaul going from planted to nonplanted w/ angels or discus.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
thanks. I figured it was too much. I just saw one for sale on another forum for a great price. Any recomendations on a canister filter? My 204 died a couple of months ago and I've just been using the rio that feeds my uv steralizer. I'm about to do a major overhaul going from planted to nonplanted w/ angels or discus.
It's really not too much especially after it matures.

A 2217 would be perfect for a 45g.

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
eheim

Definitely not too much. Once the filter is full of media the flow rate drops dramatically. I have one on a 40 breeder zebra pleco tank and it is not enough. I have to have 2 340 gph powerheads to eliminate dead spots. If you can get a good deal get it, it is a great filter that will last you for years.

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
Don't know if this should be a new thread, lemme know...
I'm stuck with some very large fish, in too small of tanks, due to a last minute pond emptying. 120 gal. and 90 gal. aren't ready for fish yet (have wet / dry sumps on them) so an 18" pleco is in one 75g., a 12" channel cat is in another, and a 10" pleco is in yet another. They also have to share with a couple of large goldfish in each. Each 75 now has a pair of Emperor 400's, a power head with foam prefilter and a dbl. ATI #5 sponge filter.

The big plec also has a 2 1/2 gal. canister filter that I buggered together out of a Beckett pond UV filter and a submersible 300 gph pump. The cat gets a HOT Magnum HO w/ micron cartridge and a PhosBan Reactor hooked to a 120 gph submersible and filled with carbon.

These are working, and I'm probably a week or two from moving them to a bigger tank, but the maintenance on all of this is killin' me, and I've got a lot more tanks to take care of.

Not that price is no object but I've been lusting after the new Pro IIIe Eheims as a longer term solution to all of the maintenance and gurggling w/ these HOB's. When everything's up and running I'll have 16 tanks and about 800+ gallons to tend to.

Are the Eheims all that their fans claim them to be for the dough?

Do the new electronic models offer any real world advantages (especially for someone with a lot on his plate like me)?

Should I be looking at something else?

And finally...since my wife and son really like the plecos, and other crap generator types, I have the on-going concern of adequate filtration, and what would be adequate for the 75's if I left the dbl. ATI foam filters and replaced the hang ons et al with Eheim Cans.

I started with a jumble of used stuff and new from before I got to this site and am becoming acutely aware that you get what you pay for.

Sorry for the length...I can't type a short post...:headshake2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store